S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rattle from Rear when Top Up

Old 11-12-2009, 08:43 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

I have a similar noise over uneven roads. Mine is a metal chirp. Thought it was suspension.

Also when it's really windy and/or uneven roads I get a little vibration over my left right shoulder. I thought it was gas cap but is not.

I have had the car 4 months and cannot fix it.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been lucky in taking care of nearly all of my 'noises and rattles' for my new to me S2k. The only thing left is the glove box...it rattles a bit when I drive over rough roads. I can't find the screw to tighten the lid so I might have to do some more digging or perhaps 'glue' some felt between the lid and the actual box.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Reckon,Nov 12 2009, 09:06 AM
This may sound weird, but could it be your seat belts on your seat? I noticed a rattle with the top up (can't hear anything but the wind and my radio with the top down!) that was distinct on both sides of the car. Same type of rattle/creak. I found that if I held the seat belt up, it went away on the driver side. Got some seat belt shoulder pads and placed them over the seat where the seat belt meets it. Took care of the problem. Of course, mine is a 2005 with 54k miles on it that I took ownership 3 weeks ago. Been working to make sure I understand and eliminate all noises!
Not sure how you could have interpretted a metal on metal sound as the sound associated with the seat belt rubbing against your leather seat... but well... I guess you did. No, its not the seat belt. Please read the thread before you reply, it really helps.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Reckon,Nov 12 2009, 10:17 AM
I've been lucky in taking care of nearly all of my 'noises and rattles' for my new to me S2k. The only thing left is the glove box...it rattles a bit when I drive over rough roads. I can't find the screw to tighten the lid so I might have to do some more digging or perhaps 'glue' some felt between the lid and the actual box.
Please don't hijack the thread. Thank you.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Comanche5,Nov 12 2009, 07:21 PM
Not sure how you could have interpretted a metal on metal sound as the sound associated with the seat belt rubbing against your leather seat... but well... I guess you did. No, its not the seat belt. Please read the thread before you reply, it really helps.
Well, sorry, didn't realize you had super hearing. Just because you think its metal to metal doesn't mean it is - I thought my seat belt issue was actually the convertible top. Was only trying to help...sorry if a small post caused you an issue.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:29 AM

Please don't hijack the thread. Thank you.
I castrate myself before you all mighty one!
Old 11-15-2009, 04:33 PM

it could be the back of your seat rattling on the pastic piece behind the head of the seat. that can happen when theres a little gap between the seat and the peice. that happened to me. so i just reclined my seat pucshing back on the peice so theres no space to rattle
Old 11-15-2009, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by 808_AP1,Nov 15 2009, 08:33 PM
it could be the back of your seat rattling on the pastic piece behind the head of the seat. that can happen when theres a little gap between the seat and the peice. that happened to me. so i just reclined my seat pucshing back on the peice so theres no space to rattle
I don't think that's it. I think I hear the same sound as the OP and it's a pretty harsh sound, not what a seat against plastic would sound like. Plus, my seat isn't close to the back plastic, either.

I'm wondering if it could be the plastic tray/shelf that's in the back behind the roll hoops where the top would fold down into. Maybe that thing bounces around since it doesn't have the top resting against it when it's up.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by EP Heart,Nov 15 2009, 06:47 PM
I don't think that's it. I think I hear the same sound as the OP and it's a pretty harsh sound, not what a seat against plastic would sound like. Plus, my seat isn't close to the back plastic, either.

I'm wondering if it could be the plastic tray/shelf that's in the back behind the roll hoops where the top would fold down into. Maybe that thing bounces around since it doesn't have the top resting against it when it's up.
Yeah, definitely not the seat. I've wondered if the sound was sourced from the rear tray. As much as I've tried, I could not bring about the sound manually. What I've noticed is that the sound appears to happen less when the top is wet (i.e. raining). I know what you're thinking... makes a lot of sense, right?
Old 11-15-2009, 09:58 PM

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

My car had a rattle on passenger side, turns out the seatbelt clip was rattling against the door, adjusted it, gone.

At least be grateful people are trying to help. If that wasn't the issue then move on. Best of luck fixing it.

Good day

Quick Reply: Rattle from Rear when Top Up