S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rattle in the rear when I start to move

Old 08-26-2008, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle in the rear when I start to move

When I let the clutch out in 1st gear and the car starts to move and the clutch is full let out I hear this little rattling noise when the car first starts to move. Anyone else run across this. Is there a DIY with pictures... thanks so much.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:06 PM

Rattling like pills in a bottle or like almost a popping sound?
Old 08-27-2008, 02:47 PM

I'd say it's definently not a pop sound. I also hear it when I go over changes in the road, like rail road tracks, or bumps in the road. I'd suspect it may have something to do with the suspension, but I've found many times on the forum that it is a less invasive problem with an easy fix and was hoping that to be the case here. I think I've read something about tightening the axle bolts or something to that effect, just have to keep searching unless you can help here.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:37 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

Your diff is going...
Old 08-27-2008, 05:06 PM

I always get worst case scenario on this board, I've been searching around and found that this could be a common problem that can be fixed by retorquing the axle nuts.

Once again I'll start with the least invasive and work my way up to total replacement.

The last time I posted about play in my clutch I was told that the slave cylinder was gone, I drained the brake fluid out, cleaned the resevoir and pumped the pressure back up and viola. Once again answering my own question.

tks
Old 08-28-2008, 07:36 AM

dont retorque, replace. axle nuts are like 5 bucks. if the sound comes back, like mine did, its your bearings....
Old 08-28-2008, 09:38 AM

sorry to thread jack but i have a bad popping in the left rear, at really random times too, like not when i go over bumps, it happens on turns and on random straights, any help greatly apprecieted
Old 08-28-2008, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by passmans2kny,Aug 28 2008, 01:38 PM
sorry to thread jack but i have a bad popping in the left rear, at really random times too, like not when i go over bumps, it happens on turns and on random straights, any help greatly apprecieted
that sounds like the beginnings of a wheel bearing going bad. re-torque your axle nuts to 220 lb/ft, see if that makes a difference. if the sound goes away, then it's likely the wheel bearing. the sound will eventually come back, get worse, and then you'll need to replace the bearing (and possibly the hub.) it's not a huge deal, takes $150 and a couple of hours.

if re-torquing doesn't change the sound, then disregard what i've said.

to justcliff...

a lot of people get this rattling that's a result of the wingnut that holds the spare in place being loose or completely off. check that, get back to us.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:38 PM

thanks i will try to retorque
Old 08-28-2008, 12:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its a rattle, as someone else mentioned check the nut/screw thing that holds down your spare tire. Axle nuts tend to tick not rattle.

Quick Reply: Rattle in the rear when I start to move