S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rattle and pops out of gear

Old 10-09-2006, 03:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know it's a possibility...but I can't imagine needing a new tranny at 17,000 miles. I knew the guy that owned it before me and he babied it. I've had cars with over 80,000 miles on them, and still used the original transmission. Plus, I've been told by several people before that their S2000 does that from time to time also. But I'll know for sure in a few days.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Oct 9 2006, 10:32 AM
I might be wrong about this, but I think all the "extended warranties" are actually insurance policies, and the terms are often very restrictive. However, if you have a good relationship with your dealer there is a good chance that they'll fix your car for you without giving you any hassles. Dealers vary a lot though, so it can go the other way just as easily. Take a positive approach and assume that they'll cover it or give you a good reason why they're not going to cover it. It's better to give then the benefit of doubt until they give you some reason to do otherwise.

Good luck getting the problems fixed. Hopefully it's nothing too serious.
always maintain good relations with you service advisors make sure you know them on an almost personal level. i never got hassled with warranty even with my tricked out civic Si. all i had to do is drive it in and they'll overlook all my mods. always leave a good word with Honda Customer satisfaction about your service advisor. mention their name and they'll get recognition and they'll take care of you even more.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by fonzy_S2K,Oct 9 2006, 06:51 PM
always maintain good relations with you service advisors make sure you know them on an almost personal level. i never got hassled with warranty even with my tricked out civic Si. all i had to do is drive it in and they'll overlook all my mods. always leave a good word with Honda Customer satisfaction about your service advisor. mention their name and they'll get recognition and they'll take care of you even more.
I hadn't tought of it quite that way, but you're right. I'm on a first name basis with every service advisor I have to deal with, and every mechanic that is allowed to work on my car. I never ask them what they will do to fix a problem; I always ask them what *we* can do. I also visit them sometimes just to talk. I also get to know the general manager at all the dealerships I have to work with. When I want a car I usually go to one of the dealerships and tell the general manager what I want and what I want to pay, and they'll find just the right car for me, and sell it to me at the price I've asked for. Back when I was autocrossing Fiats the local dealership informally sponsored my car, fixing anything that broke and providing support and parts when we built up the motor in the X-1/9. More recently one of the Honda dealers in the area has suggested the possibility of more official sponsorship for my S2000.

Dealing with people on a friendly and personal basis always works better than getting into a pissing contest.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ek9,Oct 9 2006, 05:45 PM
Nobody's saying it but, you probably need a transmission.
I've been thinking it, but didn't want to say it.

Hopefully it's something simple and not quite so expensive.
(No need to give up hope, regardless of the odds.)
Old 10-09-2006, 04:14 PM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, the problem is, you only get one shot with the dealer. I was just trying to make that clear.

I like what Fonzy's saying, it follows my own philosophy of trying to always gather good Karma by being nice to everyone I meet. It tends to work for me too.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Ek9,Oct 9 2006, 07:14 PM
Yeah, the problem is, you only get one shot with the dealer. I was just trying to make that clear.

I like what Fonzy's saying, it follows my own philosophy of trying to always gather good Karma by being nice to everyone I meet. It tends to work for me too.
It's not just dealers. You can bend over backwards to maintain good relationships with someone for decades, and blow it all away in a moment of wrong thinking. Once you make a bad impression it's hard to recover.

One of the little things I do before approaching ANYONE for any reason is to remind myself what a difference a smile makes. I walk in grinning, and that does several things. Smiling makes me feel good and sets a mood, and people smile back making me feel better. Their smiling, and my smile, makes for a good start to anything that may lie ahead. It's really hard to bitch at someone or be nasty when you're smiling.

LOL, of course if it's not sincere it will only make people wonder what you're up to.

On the Web we're missing the expressions and body language, and that makes it hard for me sometimes.

Anyway ...

"Do unto others" - Karma - Any way you look at it, the idea (ancient wisdom) is that it is wise to deal with others in a positive way.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys are making a lot of sense. See I don't know because my friend has an SRT-4 that has a huge list of mods to it, and he needed a whole new tranny and they helped him out. Of course Dodge and Honda are completely different, but a lot of different things have been going through my mind. I highly doubt it's in need of a new transmission with such a minimal amount of miles, but I am keeping it in the back of my mind as a possibility.