S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rattle and pops out of gear

Old 10-08-2006, 12:42 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Lowering may cause the CV's to wear out because they then have to operate at an angle they were not designed for.
Can you pinpoint the source of the noise a bit more?
(from memory)
mgp 2675 Posted on Oct 8 2006, 02:53 AM
My car now makes a rattling noise from under it,
Is it coming from next to you (gearbox) or behind you (axles & CV's)?

Then again.. like Red MX5 mentioned.. without hearing it in person it is not easy to diagnose noises over the internet and it may be best to not drive the car and get it checked out by a mechanic as the noise is now there all the time and gotten worse, that is the way I understand it.

Let us know what you find.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iamhomin,Oct 8 2006, 03:15 PM
Also, if your dealer fails to honor your warranty work, contact Billman250. He is probably the most experienced w/ S2K repairs.
Good tip. I didn't even notice that the OP was in New Jersey.

If I were where he is I'd go see Bill.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RACER,Oct 8 2006, 12:02 PM
Dealers do not offer 80k warrenty's. And yes, it could be voided due to the mod's.
My car has an 80,000 mile/6-year warranty, and that was the most extended one they offered, but it exists.

I'm going to go tomorrow...I'm not sure exactly if they can fix anything but we'll see. I was thinking it could also be the heatshield, cause my friend's car makes the same noise and that's what it is. The popping out of gear could be that, but I recall one time I didn't have my hand on the shifter and it still did it. I guess I'll find out tomorrow. Thanks for all of the replies.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by mgp 2675,Oct 8 2006, 10:08 PM
My car has an 80,000 mile/6-year warranty, and that was the most extended one they offered, but it exists.

I'm going to go tomorrow...I'm not sure exactly if they can fix anything but we'll see. I was thinking it could also be the heatshield, cause my friend's car makes the same noise and that's what it is. The popping out of gear could be that, but I recall one time I didn't have my hand on the shifter and it still did it. I guess I'll find out tomorrow. Thanks for all of the replies.
I might be wrong about this, but I think all the "extended warranties" are actually insurance policies, and the terms are often very restrictive. However, if you have a good relationship with your dealer there is a good chance that they'll fix your car for you without giving you any hassles. Dealers vary a lot though, so it can go the other way just as easily. Take a positive approach and assume that they'll cover it or give you a good reason why they're not going to cover it. It's better to give then the benefit of doubt until they give you some reason to do otherwise.

Good luck getting the problems fixed. Hopefully it's nothing too serious.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by RACER,Oct 8 2006, 12:02 PM
Dealers do not offer 80k warrenty's. And yes, it could be voided due to the mod's.
If the mod is directly related to the problem, then yes. I think you misread my post..
Old 10-09-2006, 12:44 PM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you read about other people with the extended warranty and read the conditions of the honda-care warranty, "mods" seem to void it. It's not a warranty as someone pointed out but, insurance. They can deny coverage at will and you'll have to fight them over it.

I'd never let the dealer see it non-stock if you expect hassle free coverage.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:55 PM

Yeah, I didn't get to go today cause I had work, but I hope tomorrow or wednesday I can.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:58 PM

Honda's Factory warranty for the 2002 model year is 3 years/36,000 miles. If your car falls under this category, then no, they can not deny your warranty for transmission work if you have a CAI.

However, since you have exceeded your factory warranty and now using your extended warranty (insurance as someone else puts it) then the dealer can and most likely will void your warranty due to the mods that you have on your car. The Magnusson-Moss act does not apply to extended warranties. You'll probably need to read the fine print of your warranty to be 100% sure. If I were you, I would purchase a stock air box and raise your car back up before you attempt warranty work.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:09 PM

I think what I'm going to do is bring it to my mechanic tomorrow during my lunch break, and have him take a look at it. I really appreciate all of your inputs but as you said, there's no way to tell me 100% unless you hear it, and even then you may not know. He won't charge me for looking at it (as I've done this before) and I'll see how much it may cost. If it's not much money, I'll take it to a Honda dealership to give it a try, but I don't want to have to purchase springs and an airbox...especially if the cost to fix my problem is less than that.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:45 PM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nobody's saying it but, you probably need a transmission. Popping out of gear is never good. A good new price on one of those is $3500 and then you have to pay for install. You may get honda to cover it, if you dot your I's and cross your T's. They're not going to want to foot the bill for this repair and will delight in denying your claim.

I think your plan to take it to your mechanic is a good one but, If you let the dealer smell that you've got mods on the car, you can kiss $5000+ (whole job price) away.

You can pick up a used tranny for $1000-1200 bucks. Ask your mechanic what he'd charge to install a used transmission you supplied.

Quick Reply: Rattle and pops out of gear