S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rattle and pops out of gear

Old 10-07-2006, 04:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rattle and pops out of gear

My odometer currently reads about 16,800 on my MY02 S. The car was perfect a few months ago when I bought it, but since then I've noticed a few small mechanical problems that are getting more irritating by the day. There have been several times when, as I was about to hit VTEC in 2nd gear, that it just popped out of gear by itself. It hasn't done that in a while though...however, today it popped out of gear in 1st, which has never happened. I don't drive this car hard at all, and it has a very minimal amount of miles on it, so I'm not exactly sure what the problem is. I would think it has something to do with the synchro's, but I'm not sure.

Now today, another problem arose. My car now makes a rattling noise from under it, typically when I am going slower and slowing down. It's very annoying, and I would also think that is a transmission problem, but again I'm not sure. My friend's MR2 makes this noise (only much louder) but he has 190,000 miles on that thing, so I'd expect a few things here and there to be out of order. Not on a car with 17,000 miles on it.

I'm asking whoever is out there that knows more than I seem to know, to please help me out. I'm fairly new to this car and I want to get these things fixed, so I know no one will be able to tell me 100%...but whatever it may sound like to you. I should also add that I have an 80,000 mile/6-year warranty so I'm still covered, but I hear that Honda can be rather rude with those situations. My car is lowered and it has a CAI, so I don't know if they'll claim that it's my fault. I also have a very trusty mechanic who is like family, and doesn't charge me much...so worst comes to worst I could just go to him. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated...thanks
Old 10-07-2006, 11:16 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

The rattle (or buzz maybe?) during decelleration most likely is the "clutch-buzz".
The clutch plate makes this noise and is technically harmless.
Just a noise, the new updated clutch plates do not make this noise (or less as some have posted).

The popping out of gear is something different.
There were TSB's (IIRC) about popping out of 2nd.
Maybe it will cause it to pop out of 1st too, over time?

There was a post not that long ago of vibration in the propshaft causing the gearbox to pop out of gear.
But that was serious vibrations caused by missing bolts.

That's all I can think of.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mgp 2675,Oct 7 2006, 05:53 PM
I have an 80,000 mile/6-year warranty
It's time to put your warrenty to use.

[QUOTE=mgp 2675,Oct 7 2006, 05:53 PM]My car is lowered and it has a CAI, so I don't know if they'll claim that it's my fault.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by RACER,Oct 8 2006, 01:39 AM
You might want to put the Stock box back on and raise the car back up for now until this is resolved.
I appreciate it, but no-can-do. I don't have either . The rattling definitely isn't a normal thing, cause it just started happening. I really don't know what it could be but there has to be something wrong.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:25 AM

Dealers can't void warranty from an intake when it's clearly a transmission problem. The gear pop hasn't happened to my S, but my TSX has gone through a lot of "pops" and it turned out to be an internal problem. In fact, it happened after I took it in for warranty for "notchy shifts", only to get it back even in worse condition.

When you bought it used, was there any documentation that the tranny was opened and closed for warranty reasons? It may play an important factor.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:10 AM

No, there isn't. That's actually ironic what you said about your TSX cause I had an 05' 6spd and it was like perfect. I'm sure if I went through the warranty, they couldn't techincally void it because of that...but it's just worrying me. I don't even VTEC that much, which is what kills me because it doesn't change my driving experience, but I'm almost scared to push it cause I don't want to break anything.

The rattling has become more constant, and it is REALLY getting to me. I am off work tomorrow, so I think I'm gonna go up to Honda and see what they can do. If all else fails, I'll make an appointment with my mechanic. It seems like every car I buy has some kind of problem
Old 10-08-2006, 10:39 AM

[QUOTE=mgp 2675,Oct 8 2006, 11:11 AM]I appreciate it, but no-can-do.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by mgp 2675,Oct 8 2006, 01:10 PM
The rattling has become more constant, and it is REALLY getting to me. I am off work tomorrow, so I think I'm gonna go up to Honda and see what they can do. If all else fails, I'll make an appointment with my mechanic. It seems like every car I buy has some kind of problem
Oops, I missed this update. If the rattling is constant, it's not the clutch-buzz.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by iamhomin,Oct 8 2006, 09:25 AM
Dealers can't void warranty from an intake when it's clearly a transmission problem.
Dealers do not offer 80k warrenty's. And yes, it could be voided due to the mod's.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:15 PM

Also, if your dealer fails to honor your warranty work, contact Billman250. He is probably the most experienced w/ S2K repairs.

Quick Reply: Rattle and pops out of gear