S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Random misfire codes...next steps?

Old 04-15-2007, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random misfire codes...next steps?

Hi All,

I have a 2003 S2000 with about 50k miles that has just started to experience misfires. I have been reviewing posts from prior members that have had similar problems and was curious if anyone had any logical next steps. Here is the chronology of what has happened thus far:

About 2 months ago. On a warm start up my check engine light came on. I was able to pull the codes and it was for a cylinder misfire on 3 & 4 (P0303 & P0304). I tried changing the plugs and reset the ECU.

About a month later the problem appeared but now on cylinders 1 & 2 (P0301 & P0302).. Again this occurred right at start-up (I don't recall if this was a warm or cold start if that matters). I took the car to the dealer who then did a valve adjustment.

Now the problem appeared again about 2 days ago back on cylinders 3 & 4 (P0303 & P0304).. Again this occurred right at (warm) start up.

All 3 times this has happened has been right at start up. I have occasionally noticed the car idling rough at times but generally it seems OK. Any suggestions of next steps?

Old 04-15-2007, 05:14 PM

I'll bet you it's clogged/dirty injectors...

Had the same exact problems with mine with the misfire CEL's and after doing all the things you've said you did to resolve it, had my mechanic check all the injectors and two were clogged real bad... After replacing with new ones, I had zero problems and the car ran and performed soooooo much better...

That's what I recommend you do next...
Old 04-15-2007, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's kind of strange the dealer went ahead and adjusted the valves without other diagnostic steps first. Did they do a compression and leakdown test first?
There are many things that can cause a misfire. I had misfire trouble before when my car was new. The dealer did eventually fix it after TWO valve adjustments. The first was done incorrectly, something to consider. However before they did the valve adjustment they had already swapped the plugs and coil packs around and performed a compression and leakdown test. I believe Honda's "tech line" pretty much talked them through the entire diagnostic process.
Since then I have read that this is highly uncommon. My S2000 had the valves too tight from Toichigi.
I guess that dosen't help much. I suppose my point is it seems odd the dealer went straight for the valves. Other things to consider would be.
1.)Fuel itself
2.)Fuel injectors
3.)Plugs (try OEM NGK if that's not what you already have)
4.)Individual Coil Packs (whatever they're called) they usually swap them around to see if they can make the misifire jump cylinders.
5.)Compression and leakdown test as a prelude to valve adjustment.
6).Fuel supply (I think the pump and sock filter are in the tank) I think this is unlikely.

There are probably other things it could be also. These are just some of the things I can remember discussing with some of the techs at the dealer. Good Luck.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:03 PM

Appreciate the quick feedback guys. Due to the errors jumping around I don't think it is the coil-overs and I had already tried replacing plugs so I don't think that is it either. So it sounds like it is either bad gas or clogged injectors. I guess I am a bit naive here but how does one determine if the injectors are clogged? Is it a visual inspection or do they need to be removed to be diagnosed?

Also anyone have any suggestions for getting this work done in south orange county (California)?
Old 04-15-2007, 09:37 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

fuel injectors...what do they look like...can they be clean, or does it need to be replaced?