S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Random misfire codes on all cyl but runs fine.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random misfire codes on all cyl but runs fine.

Hello S2ki. I've been out of the scene for a bit because school and work has been kicking my ass but I've had this misfire(s) code keep coming up about after an hour of being driven. What is really weird is that 1.) While I was idling looking right at my check engine light just as it turned on and I know I didn't feel a misfire at all. 2.) I keep getting misfire codes from all cylinders but have yet to feel them. I have an OBDII reader that I hooked up and took some screenshots hoping someone will know what they are looking at and help me figure out what is with all these misfires. Other than this issue that car drives fine and pulls hard.

==================Here are some quick view screenshots of the codes:==================

==================Here are more in-depth screenshots of the codes:==================

==================Here are my readings. Look ok?==================

Still driving this car daily and getting kinda paranoid driving it around with a check engine light even though the car still feels fine and pulls on 350Zs all day.. Any ideas fellas? Any info appreciated!

Edit: I just noticed I can plug my OBDII scanner into a laptop to get more info! Right now I unplugged the battery (overnight) to make sure all the codes are off and if it happens again then I'll try hooking it up to my laptop.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:02 AM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

What year car...
Old 02-04-2014, 09:17 AM

I was getting CELs for misfires in 3 cylinders, but the codes cleared multiple times. I'm gonna replace my retainers, but when I did some inspections, my Cyl 1 spark plug was loose. Haven't had any issues since.

02 S2k here.

I'll be watching this thread.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:39 PM

I reset the codes with the scanner AND left the battery unplugged overnight to make sure the codes clear out but sure enough on the way home from work tonight the light pops on and I get the same codes.. still runs fine and I never feel these misfires.

05 S2k here.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:52 AM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

First thing I would do is valve adj, and check for loose plugs while you are in there.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:10 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd change the plugs and do a compression test while the plugs are out.

If you cant feel it it's probably not the spark plugs though. Usually all the misfire codes along with you cant feel the miss end up being a worn out motor thats lost compression.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:30 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If it runs fine with no noticeable power loss, I would say it's dirty fuel injector(s).
Old 02-05-2014, 11:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would try the valve adjust.... I had a burned valve on cyl 3 when the car was still new and never noticed any difference in how the car ran. Just the stupid CEL coming on.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:24 PM

"If it runs fine with no noticeable power loss, I would say it's dirty fuel injector(s)."
you maybe able to hear or feel a dirty fuel injector. At least, I could of what my s2000 misfired.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:58 PM

It is getting a lot more frequent but still can't feel it so hopefully it just needs a valve adjustment. The engine was just rebuilt last year though..
Definitely not fuel injectors, I would definitely feel that. Thanks for the input, keep the advice coming!

Quick Reply: Random misfire codes on all cyl but runs fine.