S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Random misfire after overrev

Old 09-10-2009, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you know any mechanics where you live, especially honda mechanics. The best thing for you to do would be do a compression test by the book, next do a valve clearence inspection, that right there (if you dont see anything with the valve cover off) should lead you to the hurt valve (s) or cylinder where you problem is occuring. A damaged valve in one cylinder can lead to multiple misfires in other cylinders that the ecm will detect. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. GL!
Old 09-10-2009, 09:55 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You have bent valves. Remove the head and get it to a machine shop for repair. AP2 valvetrain (valves, valvesprings, retainers) should run you about $500 for all the hardware but the machine shop should be able to tell you which ones are bent and need replacing. Don't even bother poking around trying to figure it out for yourself what's broken but if you do, there are PLENTY of threads on this issue that you can find with a simple search.

Your car will still run but it is a ticking time bomb. Get it fixed before diaster happens.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:59 AM

I know a Honda mechanic. But I'm on a very tight budget. I'm 19 and going to college so money is tight. I hate asking for free help. (Except from you guys <3)

I'll go ahead and do a compression test. Will a gapping coin for spark plugs work for a valve clearance test?
Old 09-10-2009, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by spectacle,Sep 10 2009, 09:55 AM
You have bent valves. Remove the head and get it to a machine shop for repair. AP2 valvetrain (valves, valvesprings, retainers) should run you about $500 for all the hardware but the machine shop should be able to tell you which ones are bent and need replacing. Don't even bother poking around trying to figure it out for yourself what's broken but if you do, there are PLENTY of threads on this issue that you can find with a simple search.

Your car will still run but it is a ticking time bomb. Get it fixed before diaster happens.
VERY limited budget dude. I appreciate the advice, but I'm going to have to fix it on my own. At this point, pulling the head is required? If I do that, is it absolutely necessary for me to replace the head gasket?
Old 09-10-2009, 10:34 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes and Yes.

And I'm pretty sure that you have to have the head clearanced for the new valves, they're not just plug and play.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:33 PM

Well, I just tried a compression test but when the car turned over, it shot oil out because I've got the head cover off. Also, I just had the tester than you push on and it wouldn't hold because the tip is cracked. I'll buy the right one and try it again. Before I drain the oil, is it going to hurt to do a compression test without oil in it?
Old 09-10-2009, 06:07 PM

I would never turn the engine over without oil in it.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

$500 is pretty cheap for an over-rev...if your tight budget can't afford that, then you have a problem.

And no, you can't use a spark plug gapping coin to check valve clearances. You have to use a feeler gauge.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:24 PM

I can afford the 500, but that wouldn't count labor.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:41 PM

Sucks when you are on a tight budget. I mentioned to do a compression test by the book and that would have condsidered keeping the valve conver on. Maybe ask the honda mechanic you know if he wouldnt mind helping you out or just ask a few question to know you are inspecting the motor correctly. From the book for your year s2 would be:

Warm the engine to operating temp. Cooling fans come on twice. (keep a/c off) . Remove the #2 15amp fuse from the underdash fuse box. Remove all 4 coils and all 4 spark plugs. Attach the compression tester to the spark plug hole. Hold the gas pedal all the way down and crank the engine over about till you hear the motor turn over about 6 times with the gas pedal all the way down. You should have above 135psi in all cylinders with no more then 28psi variation between cylinders. GL!

Quick Reply: Random misfire after overrev