S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Ran out of gas today...

Old 01-25-2010, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ran out of gas today...

I know... I know... not my proudest day. I had a job interview I was running late for about 20 mi away and the light had just turned on. I figured that most cars had around 3gal in reserve, so I figured from a conservative standpoint I'd have 60-70mi. Wrong. Maybe about 35mi when it started sputtering down the freeway. I immediately pulled off to the side and shut of the engine before it died completely.

Fortunately I had renewed my AAA membership a couple days ago for roadside service and towing. Much to my chagrin, I had the option of them bringing out REGULAR fuel, no premium, or having them tow it. (Don't people with high end cars run out every once in a while with AAA?) I guess not. I opted for towing under those conditions.

The flatbed arrives and the driver tugs a couple of big nasty looking hooks in the direction of my front bumper while I have terrible visions running through my head. He looks around underneath and doesn't seem to have a look on his face that is very confidence-inspiring.

Just then, another driver pulls up from behind to block errant drivers from crashing into us and happens to have a couple of gas cans on the back. While the two of them were scratching their heads to figure out how to get the Stook on the flatbed, I come up with the BRILLIANT idea of driving to a local gas station to fill one of the cans with PREMIUM fuel. Sure enough, the first driver agrees that it would be much easier and less costly than ripping out my front suspension.

I arrive back with the 2nd driver and 3.5 gallons of premium fuel. The car starts right up and I'm on my way after dodging San Diego drivers doing 90mph in the slow lane. Moral of the story: fill up at a 1/4 tank from now on or make sure it's a damn good interview.

Question: Is there any chance I damaged any injectors, valves, fuel filter, fuel pump, etc. etc.? It seemed to run fine all the way to the station and home. It pulled fine on the freeway. How would I know? Thanks in advance and sorry about the length.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:31 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damage, nahh youre ok.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:34 PM

Received 64 Likes on 25 Posts

my passport doesnt have a working gas gauge and a few weeks ago just as i got on the highway i ran out of gas. I go 300 miles between fills and i had forgot to fill up. I had 323 when i ran dry

i know your pain
Old 01-25-2010, 04:43 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

It's unlikely anything is damaged. Next time I'd take a gallon of regular and just take it easy to the nearest gas station.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:45 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

it wouldn't have been a problem to put a few gallons of regular in it to make it to the next gas station. The ECU would compensate for the (slightly) lower octane and no damage would have occurred
it's a Honda after all.....
Old 01-25-2010, 04:53 PM

Thanks for the tips. Yeah I suppose a little pinging would be better to risk than tearing out my control arms.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:00 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

no pinging from regular--especially if you don't VTEC it--the ECU will compensate for it automatically
Old 01-25-2010, 05:20 PM

on a road trip last fall, i was going ~74mph with the cruise on, and i felt the engine stutter and putter temporarily and it took me a second to remember that the gas light had come on maybe 30 miles earlier. however, 30 miles = about 1 gallon of gas, which surprised me. i immediately slowed down to about 50mph and was fortunately coming up to an exit at the bottom of a decline, and i managed to drive gently to an Exxon about 500 ft away. however, there was no more stuttering as i pulled in. furthermore, i only put in about 12.6 gallons of gas, which indicates that i still had about a half gallon left in there...weird.

maybe it had something to do with me going down a hill at the time?
Old 01-25-2010, 05:25 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

So how'd the interview go? Were you late? Hope you got the job!
Old 01-25-2010, 05:48 PM

well no offense to you but you werent helpful to the truck driver you should know there is a hook in the tool kit that goes in your front bumper for towing

Quick Reply: Ran out of gas today...