S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Radiators...

Old 08-07-2001, 07:52 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Radiators...

I was looking at upgrading the radiator to keep the temps down amap. Several factors come into play here including total cooling system volume, pressure, # finns, core size, final weight, composition, etc.
The original radiator with cap (dry) weighs in about 6.5 lbs. Thats a hard act to follow. How much additional weight in the radiator is acceptable for performance reasons. Can the plastic radiator tanks be reused with a new core? I still want to go around the corners and through the twisties. Should I strap some lead in the front to get the feel? Anyone already upgraded their radiator? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 08-07-2001, 08:00 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mugen offers a more aggressive radiator.

www.kingmotorsports.com
Old 08-07-2001, 08:48 AM

or spoon

Old 08-07-2001, 09:00 AM

As far as the Mugen goes, King told me that the cooling fans can be fitted, I'm not sure with Spoon.
I don't think you would notice any front end weight difference, but operating at cooler engine temps you just may increase hp.
Either way, using the larger radiator with the thermostat and thermoswitch upgrades will be good for your engine.
Old 08-07-2001, 09:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by 4373
...I don't think you would notice any front end weight difference, but operating at cooler engine temps you just may increase hp. ...
I'm not sure that running much cooler temps is the object.. you would just fool the ECU into thinking the car is not warmed up. The goal of larger cores usually is to avoid overheating the cooling system so that the thermostat can maintain the target temp consistently.

Although a bit more coolant will add a pound or two, the real weight difference comes primarily from your wallet. Parts for this car are outrageous.. excellent quality cores for other cars are larger units at a fraction of the price.
Old 08-07-2001, 11:36 AM

Chris -
The thermostat will have an 18 degree cooler operating target and agreed, the additional coolant will assist in maintaining that target temperature. Also the thermoswitch's lower activation temperature will aid in maintaining a lower temp.
I don't think the ECU will be fooled that the engine's not warmed up at 154 degrees versus 172 degrees, rather at WOT and under other harsh driving conditions, the larger system should aid in preventing the ECU from retarding the timing.
Old 08-07-2001, 12:59 PM
Banned

contact Fluidyne

they told me a drop in replacement rad is available for our car

Price 399.99

something about 3 way core verses 2 way????
results in 38% more cooling capacity???? sorry its been a while

they also told me to remove a rad hose and measure the opening because there were 2 different rads used in our car
so to measure opening before you order
so stock hoses would fit

hth
Old 08-07-2001, 04:51 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. I was looking at the radiator a little closer and it is only about 9/16" thick. The tank could easily handle 1-1/2" to 2" of core. The quality of the construction is very similar to the airconditioning radiator. Both have similar fins and rods.
Does anyone know if you can reuse the plastic tanks??
Old 08-07-2001, 07:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Sideways
Does anyone know if you can reuse the plastic tanks??
You don't disassemble the radiator if that is what you are asking, you just replace the whole thing. I think what Marco is describing is a three layer core from Fluidyne that is a thicker radiator. Sounds like it will fit and the price is right.. BTW I have used their radiators in the past and they are as good as any.
Old 08-07-2001, 07:45 PM

Hey people-

For what it's worth King Motorsports is a Fluidyne dealer.

If you're interested in one of them or need more information you can get it ordered from Scott Zellner at King- (262)593-2800 or tech-staff@kingmotorsports.com if you you're shy...

Quick Reply: Radiators...