S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Radiators

Old 09-10-2024, 05:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to replace my OEM radiator.

Hey, S2K Gang -

Piggybacking on an old thread here.

I've driven a 2006 AP2 as a daily driver since my first one was brand new (totalled it, and replaced it with exact duplicate). However, I'm pretty much a neophyte when something breaks. So, I'm looking for wisdom and guidance related to replacing my radiator.

Coolant started leaking from the radiator onto the garage floor a few days ago. Not sure of the root cause or the exact location of the leak but, regardless, I'm going to have the radiator replaced (I'm way too old to tackle it myself). The car has a little over 150k miles.

Based on my online research, my understanding is that the OEM radiator part number is 19010-PZX-A01, produced by Denso. The only part number I can easily see on the top of the radiator is PA66+PA612-GF30. The OEM part has been discontinued by Honda. However, I've been able to X-ref the OEM item number to a Denso aftermarket part number 221-9222.

When I called the local shop where i plan to take the car (Dennis Hall Auto, Knoxville), I was told they will order a Koyo replacement. But I'm now worried that I should consider the Denso aftermarket (or other alternative) instead.

Any insight and experience would be welcome. Thanks.
Old 09-10-2024, 08:56 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,418 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Originally Posted by NJOYSKY
Hey, S2K Gang -

Piggybacking on an old thread here.

I've driven a 2006 AP2 as a daily driver since my first one was brand new (totalled it, and replaced it with exact duplicate). However, I'm pretty much a neophyte when something breaks. So, I'm looking for wisdom and guidance related to replacing my radiator.

Coolant started leaking from the radiator onto the garage floor a few days ago. Not sure of the root cause or the exact location of the leak but, regardless, I'm going to have the radiator replaced (I'm way too old to tackle it myself). The car has a little over 150k miles.

Based on my online research, my understanding is that the OEM radiator part number is 19010-PZX-A01, produced by Denso. The only part number I can easily see on the top of the radiator is PA66+PA612-GF30. The OEM part has been discontinued by Honda. However, I've been able to X-ref the OEM item number to a Denso aftermarket part number 221-9222.

When I called the local shop where i plan to take the car (Dennis Hall Auto, Knoxville), I was told they will order a Koyo replacement. But I'm now worried that I should consider the Denso aftermarket (or other alternative) instead.

Any insight and experience would be welcome. Thanks.
If you want a plastic replacement, just buy the Denso from Rockauto.

Theoretically, it should last another 18 years.

You could also opt for the all-aluminum Koyo variant. It won't look stock. But its a nice looking, very ruggedly built peice that fits perfectly. Its one of the rare aftermarket parts that has no objective downside that I can think of.
Old 09-10-2024, 09:03 AM

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,086 Posts

Koyo painted black to look more like stock
Old 09-10-2024, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
If you want a plastic replacement, just buy the Denso from Rockauto.

Theoretically, it should last another 18 years.

You could also opt for the all-aluminum Koyo variant. It won't look stock. But its a nice looking, very ruggedly built peice that fits perfectly. Its one of the rare aftermarket parts that has no objective downside that I can think of.
Thanks for the terrific feedback. Earlier today I spoke with the repair shop rep again. We discussed that my research indicates that the OEM part is Denso but I see nothing that specifically says "Denso" - only the PA66...etc number listed in my original post. He said the original could be either Denso or Koyo. Given that it's not clear which one mine is, he recommends replacing it with Koyo. BUT he did not mention it being all-aluminum. I'm liking what you described and will check with him on ordering the all-aluminum variant.

He has not yet seen my car. I'm scheduled to take it to the shop at the end of next week - targeted to be after the new radiator has arrived.

Thanks again.
Old 09-10-2024, 06:29 PM

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,086 Posts

Factory plastic radiator is definitely made by Denso. The part Denso now sells independent from Honda may have slightly different markings. It might otherwise be identical, or its possible it could differ slightly. Denso has no obligation to make the part exactly as they did when Honda was buying from them. But such a low volume part, its difficult to imagine they'd put any engineering $ behind changing design even in minor ways. They'd never recoup cost to change, even if cost to make parts could decrease. They just won't ever sell enough of them.

Koyo radiator is aftermarket performance part, and will be polished aluminum. Much more durable, different appearance.

Significantly better cooling ability. Not that its needed at all if car is stock.
The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (09-10-2024)