S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Radiator leak

Old 04-25-2021, 02:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
It might be premature to think of replacing the radiator. The coolant is sitting on top of the foam, that tells me it is leaking from a source high up, like the cap or that one hose connection. The metal to plastic crimps which leak on failing rads are located below the foam, if leaks start there it would not cause fluid to sit on top of the foam, so I don't think it is leaking at the plastic to metal crimp zone. Check the hose clamp on that one upper hose, it looks like fluid has been leaking in that area, the clamp and hose may need adjusting. The other source of leakage can be the rad cap. The radiator may need to be bled of air if there is excess air in the system it can cause the rad cap to leak due to excessive pressure in the radiator, a bleed procedure may help.
So I just noticed my reservoir was a little low so I started filling it up and I noticed the same spot getting wetter. Peeled the foam back and saw fluid coming from a hairline crack that looks like stretch marks. Also noticed dried coolant coming from the filler neck but the cap is literally brand new so I’m guessing it’s time for a replacement
Old 04-25-2021, 03:47 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by keveth
I live 1 mile away from ballade sports so I’ll probably stop by tomorrow to see if they have this https://balladesports.com/products/k...66e90e0a&_ss=r

you can get it a little cheaper at parts geek
That's awesome that you live nearby. I'll definitely give them my business. I just need to decide on the rad cap.
Old 04-25-2021, 04:05 PM

Received 3,766 Likes on 2,657 Posts

So I just noticed my reservoir was a little low so I started filling it up and I noticed the same spot getting wetter. Peeled the foam back and saw fluid coming from a hairline crack that looks like stretch marks. Also noticed dried coolant coming from the filler neck but the cap is literally brand new so I’m guessing it’s time for a replacement
ah good that you found the source. Some cracking in the plastic does occur, called crazing , if it has crazing then yeah time to replace. Good luck with the replacement .
Old 04-26-2021, 03:50 AM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

The OEM replacement they sell on rock auto has worked fine on my car for the last 3ish years.
Old 04-26-2021, 07:07 AM

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
It might be premature to think of replacing the radiator, I wouldn't rush to replace it just yet.

The coolant is sitting on top of the foam, that tells me it is leaking from a source higher up, like the cap or that one hose connection. The metal to plastic crimps which leak on failing rads are located below the foam, if leaks start there it would not cause fluid to sit on top of the foam, so I don't think it is leaking at the plastic to metal crimp zone.

Check the hose clamp on that one upper hose, it looks like fluid has been leaking in that area, the clamp and hose may need adjusting. The other source of leakage can be the rad cap. The radiator may need to be bled of air, if there is excess air in the system it can cause the rad cap to leak due to excessive pressure in the radiator. The cap can puke fluid while driving if pressure in the rad gets too high. A bleed procedure may help if you have air in the cooling system.
That is where it will end up if the tank is cracked. Mine cracked in the same place at around 130,000 miles or so. Smelled it when I got home and the foam was soaked. Crack is right along that bottom portion where it connects to the aluminum and the coolant was caught and soaked into the foam. Good to double check other things of course. But if you wipe it off and press on the side of the plastic you likely will see the line of coolant coming where the crack is.
Old 04-26-2021, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SFMarine0331
That's awesome that you live nearby. I'll definitely give them my business. I just need to decide on the rad cap.
I checked with Ballade today and they didn't have any in stock. So I got into contact with someone at socals2kparts and will pick up the koyo aluminum one tomorrow. I just hope I won't have any fitment issues with the password JDM intake
Old 04-26-2021, 12:20 PM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I checked with Ballade today and they didn't have any in stock. So I got into contact with someone at socals2kparts and will pick up the koyo aluminum one tomorrow. I just hope I won't have any fitment issues with the password JDM intake
That's Alan Lee. Very awesome and reputable guy. He can even install it for you if you'd like and work out any fitment issues that may arise. He's also on this forum sometimes.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:23 AM

Received 136 Likes on 106 Posts

I went with Koyo on my MY00 and have not looked back!
Old 04-27-2021, 08:00 AM

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,084 Posts

I replaced with an OEM radiator when mine cracked. But it was based upon timing. I had an autox event coming up in 3 days and had to go with what I could get quickly to make it. Unfortunately that meant not being able to wait for even Majestic so I paid too much through the local dealership to get one. I may have just gone with the Koyo otherwise as it is pretty widely used.
Old 04-28-2021, 03:10 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Very nice! You may need to do some slight modification to the intake but nothing major. The Koyo doesn't come with foam like the OEM one does. I've seen some people just leave the gap and others I guess end up getting a piece of foam from Home Depot and cutting it to fit. Not sure if there's a write up on it or not.

Quick Reply: Radiator leak