S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Radiator Flush

Old 11-29-2011, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure Billman means the upper radiator hose.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:48 PM

I did this last weekend using the hose squeeze method. I never got hot air until I reved the engine and then it came out instantly. Other than that it worked great. Much better than the service manual method.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Searched the forums for the symptoms I had and decided my thermostat was f-ed. Also the coolant level was below minimum, and transparent. This is what you get when you ignore the car (I bought it this way). Bought an OEM thermostat, and oem honda coolant. The thermostat was indeed f-ed, the gasket was half eaten by the corrosive old coolant :|
Done the radiator flush procedure two weeks ago following billman's instructions above. After about ~1 hour of the procedure, I could not get the car to blow hot air. Finally gave up and went for a drive. After 20 miles or so, the car wouldn't accelerate at all, but idle was ok. Finally stalled when I tried to leave. Started the car again, and it started blowing hot air. The next day I had to add another liter of coolant in the radiator and the jar.
As far as I can tell, I either had a massive air pocket in the system, or the old coolant froze in the pipes, or a pipe was clogged by that stupid transparent (pink) coolant.

Tl;DR
Billman is right again, thanks a bunch. If I may add: also add coolant to the jar.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
The key here is never open the bleeder with the car running. If you read carefully you will see at no point do you do so. All that will do is waste coolant, and stop you from getting the air out.

Originally Posted by agthad
I did this last weekend using the hose squeeze method. I never got hot air until I reved the engine and then it came out instantly. Other than that it worked great. Much better than the service manual method.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by S~Factor
Originally Posted by Billman250' timestamp='1285673862' post='19556604
The key here is never open the bleeder with the car running. If you read carefully you will see at no point do you do so. All that will do is waste coolant, and stop you from getting the air out.

Originally Posted by agthad
While the car is warming up, rev the engine some to get it up to temp THEN shut it off and open the bleeder per the rest of the instructions. Worked perfect for me.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:54 PM

I know this is a stupid question so feel free to shit on me for asking, but when you open the radiator cap after having the car on for awhile won't it spew (hot) coolant everywhere?
Old 04-23-2012, 09:09 AM

I think a video of demonstration would make everyone at ease especially me since it'll be my first attempt on doing this. Don't want anything to go wrong and waste money on the honda coolant. Was it necessary to remove the engine block drain plug since all my coolant is drain out since I have the new radiator install or is there more that I didn't know about?
Attached Thumbnails Radiator Flush-coolant-flush.jpg  
Old 04-23-2012, 10:14 AM

Same concept of this video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaatRvdJWfM
Old 09-14-2012, 02:47 PM

going to be doin the coolan flush this weekend. Video helped a lot to help undestand the concept.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-24610-Sp.../dp/B001A4EAV0

I bought this and it was worth the money. Turn the heater temperature to the hottest setting, fan to the lowest, and watch air bubbles come out. You can rev the engine once in a while if you like.

Quick Reply: Radiator Flush