S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Radiator Flush

Old 09-25-2010, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no I know how to empty it out, but one thing that Im not sure about is bleeding the air out, hmm how can I do that ?

does that mean to turn on the car and after little bit check the radiator and add on more coolant or what ? thanks,
Old 09-25-2010, 06:44 PM

bleed screw

bleed plug

while draining.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250,Sep 25 2010, 05:20 PM
Use honda Type 2 blue coolant. No mixing, ready to go.

I would not flush it with water. This system is one of the best designed and remains completely spotless.

drain the radiator. Small white petcock in the bottom center. By design, the block will drain also.

The most important part is to bleed the air out when filling. Many people have done engine damage by driving with air in the system. This car can go FIFTEEN MILES and be fine, then overheat suddenly.

Bleed until the heat blows good hot air.
Oh, so only need to open the drain plug underneath the radiator? Not one by the engine block?

How exactly do you bleed the system? Is it just by having the heat on max when finished? Should the car be on?
Old 09-27-2010, 08:04 PM

anybody knows how to Bleed ?
Old 09-28-2010, 03:20 AM

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

leave the 2 bleed locations open until a steady stream appears out of them. From what I remember the one near the firewall is the first to purge. After that go for a drive for 3 bars, then let the car cool down, check your radiator and overflow after to double check your work.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:37 AM

Received 1,338 Likes on 810 Posts

S2000 coolant bleed:

Park car with nose elevated slightly (as long as nose is not going downhill you will be ok)

Fill the radiator slowly with the front bleeder open, dont even bother with the one on the firewall. It does not work as intended.

Close bleeder. Turn heat on high. Start car, idle to operating temp (3 bars on ap1) or hold at 2500 rpm to speed process.

TURN CAR OFF.

1 Open bleeder a very small amount, slowly....just enough to hear the air hissing out.
let it sit until all hissing stops, 5-30 seconds.

2 Once hissing stops, squeeze the upper radiator hose completely flat with your hand covered with a rag, addition hissing/air will come out. Hold it flat until all hissing has stopped. Close bleeder WHILE HOSE IS SQUEEZED. Then release hose.

3 Open radiator cap, fill to top. Replace cap.

Run car another 2 minutes at 2500 rpm, shut off, repeat 1-2-3 bleed above.

Repeat until all air is out, and heat blows HOT air....not warm air. You'll know it's hot when the temp changes sharply and is close to burning your fingers.

Once the heat turns hot, one more bleed cycle is all you need to be safe.

The key here is never open the bleeder with the car running. If you read carefully you will see at no point do you do so. All that will do is waste coolant, and stop you from getting the air out.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:37 AM

I'm planning on doing this soon. I've never drained the coolant on my engine (68K miles on it) but I always check the level. I haven't done it sooner because the coolant or the reservoir don't seem dirty at all.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250,Sep 25 2010, 05:20 PM
Use honda Type 2 blue coolant. No mixing, ready to go.

I would not flush it with water. This system is one of the best designed and remains completely spotless.

drain the radiator. Small white petcock in the bottom center. By design, the block will drain also.

The most important part is to bleed the air out when filling. Many people have done engine damage by driving with air in the system. This car can go FIFTEEN MILES and be fine, then overheat suddenly.

Bleed until the heat blows good hot air.
I have a quick quick question here,
im planning on doing this for the first time on my MY04 with close to 60k miles, it used to have (assuming) type II coolant but green stuff, new one is blue, don't i need to flush the whole system before i get the new "blue" coolant in there? if mixed (green and blue) looks very dark
thanks
Old 09-29-2010, 08:33 AM

On my 2003 owner manual there's the full sequence for radiator flush.

Check your 02 manual to see if it's there.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:36 PM

anything different steps on an ap2?

Quick Reply: Radiator Flush