S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Radiator "Bug Mesh" Protector - How To.

Old 07-06-2002, 02:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

DISCLAIMER: The procedures, methods and products written up here was for my circumstances only. I make no assertions that your results will be the same nor do I claim that this is the best way to do it. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

A couple of people lately have exhibited some interest in this "bug mesh". I've made several and these are on cars running around Calgary and New York. It's cheap and not too difficult to do. It protects your rad and A/C cannister from damage due to big bugs and rocks.
The material I use is made of fiberglass/plastic and has about a 1/8" weave. I've never had any overheating issues with it even on the hottest days. You might NOT want this on your car if you are going to the track.
Here is a pic of the raw material. It can be purchased at an outdoor fabric store.

Here is the finished protector. Note the top "notch" to make room for the hood release handle, etc.

Here is a pic of the attachment holes. The top edge has been reinforced with black duct tape before the holes were punched. These holes match the mounting points for the slanted air guide.
Old 07-06-2002, 02:23 PM

Remove the fasteners for the center cover that hides the access to the A/C cannister and the slanted air guide. They are plastic and you need to unscrew the center screw, then remove the plastic "spread open" fastener.

Pull the air guide forward and "work" the mesh down and around (in front of) the hood release handle and A/C cannister. Reach through the grill and help by pulling the material down.

Line up the holes with the air guide holes, replace the fasteners. The air guide will now hold the mesh in place. Be careful not to bend the fastener the wrong way as you install them. Pinch them closed to get them started.

Replace the center A/C access cover and you're done.

Old 07-06-2002, 02:56 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey X-

What did you have a big party this weekend? I thought you were in Canada? The 4th is an Ameriacan tradition? So all these friends arrived and asked you about all these installs? God it's fun to give you a hard time!

Had to post here and relay why I might consider this install. Went for a drive yesterday and had two butterflys (I assumed a mated pair) go straight in front of the car (big yellow ones - butterfly swallowtails for those familiar) or so I thought! This afternoon I was gonna take Electra down for a twelve pack....a normal weekend run. During my walk around I found she had ingested one of the pair, birds....not butterflys . Some type of finch, bright yellow. Luckily it was speered by my SR-1 radar unit prior to hitting the radiator. Unluckily I was in a hurry. My first attempt yielded a wing. I pulled a little harder and got the tail. I grabbed a little harder and got everything but the head. I got a screwdriver......well I won't tell you all what happened then, as this is a family board. All I can say X is thanks for the directions.

Utah
Old 07-06-2002, 03:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by Utah S2K
I thought you were in Canada? The 4th is an Ameriacan tradition?
Watch out! Don't forget that Canada is America too! Independance Day is a U.S. tradition.
Old 07-06-2002, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by Utah S2K
So all these friends arrived and asked you about all these installs? God it's fun to give you a hard time!

Had to post here and relay why I might consider this install. Went for a drive yesterday and had two butterflys (I assumed a mated pair) go straight in front of the car (big yellow ones - butterfly swallowtails for those familiar) or so I thought! This afternoon I was gonna take Electra down for a twelve pack....a normal weekend run. During my walk around I found she had ingested one of the pair, birds....not butterflys . Some type of finch, bright yellow. Luckily it was speered by my SR-1 radar unit prior to hitting the radiator. Unluckily I was in a hurry. My first attempt yielded a wing. I pulled a little harder and got the tail. I grabbed a little harder and got everything but the head. I got a screwdriver......well I won't tell you all what happened then, as this is a family board. All I can say X is thanks for the directions.

Utah
1st - BIRD BITS! EEWWWWWWW! I'm always worried about really big bugs wedging themselves into the rad fins. Get enough of them and you have diminished cooling. But a bird, I'd be worried about rad channel damage. I hope your's is OK.
It seems, I've lived the longest of all the "owners" in Calgary so I've collected most of the tools needed to do these jobs. I'm more than happy to help out friends. VTEXTC will be coming over next week for me to install that "snorkel" and a couple more oil changes for fellas who just wanna see it done the first time. Unlike the dealership, I have no insurance policy about people coming back into my "shop" to watch. In fact, they help.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:28 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whose sexy arms are those?

Old 08-13-2004, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by yellafeva,Aug 13 2004, 12:28 PM
Whose sexy arms are those?

Those arms belong to "Former". Want me to set you up?
Old 08-13-2004, 11:52 AM

XViper is a matchmaker too? Is there anything he doesn't do?

XViper, you da man!!!
Old 08-13-2004, 12:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by xviper,Aug 13 2004, 11:06 AM
Those arms belong to "Former". Want me to set you up?
And I thought they belonged to you. I knew a fireman couldn't have such girly arms, or as Arnold would say: "You girlie man!"

Who's "Former"? If it is a cute girl, then by all means. I'll PM you with my # and some Paypal $$$ for the matchmaking fee.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:28 PM

"Former" is a manchild.

Quick Reply: Radiator "Bug Mesh" Protector - How To.