S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Quick yes/no question on fluids....

Old 12-08-2005, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick yes/no question on fluids....

Ok so I am going to be taking my car in next week to get an oil change, tranny fluid change and diff change. I just bought the car less than 2 months ago and I know he had the tranny fluid changed 2 years ago, the diff has never been changed, and the oil was changed right before I got it. Bought the car with 21,000k has 23,andsomechange now.

I know it's early for an oil change- but the previous owner did NOT use synthetic. I have been reading and searching to find the best combo for each of these fluids. I won't be doing the work myself, as the car needs an inspection as well so I am going to just get it all done- but I will be purchasing and bringing all the fluids in the day of. Just for my general knowledge, I assume that there isn't anything special I need to do in order to switch over to synthetic? Here is a listing of what I am thinking of picking up... just want to make sure I'm on the right track so the mechanics don't look at me like I'm special.

Diff Fluid: Mobil 1 75w90 (Is this readily avaliable or does it have to be ordered)

Tranny: GM Syncromesh FM Part # 88900399 (can someone please confirm this is the correct part #? Also, I assume my GM dealer will carry this)

Engine: Mobil 1 SuperSynth 10w30 (Again, is this readily avaliable at parts stores?)

Sorry for the newbish questions, I've never had a car I've cared about this much and I really want to treat her right Thanks in advance guys!!
Old 12-08-2005, 07:11 AM

The FAQ section at the top of this forum will answer all of your questions.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by HOTRODS2000,Dec 8 2005, 08:11 AM
The FAQ section at the top of this forum will answer all of your questions.
Eh Ive read it a hundred times but Im trying to get things together before I go to the mechanic, I don't want to have to go back and replace/return something. The FAQ and oil journals are great but Im just asking for my sanity's sake. More for reassurance than any type of advice. Every other car I've had has been low maintenance, so I just want to make sure I'm doin her right.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:28 AM

Ok. I'll tell you what I use. If you ask ten different people you'll get ten different answers.

Diff fluid: LE607 from Hardtopguy.com.

Tranny: Honda MTF from any Honda dealership or Hardtopguy.com.
I tried GM for 1500 miles and switched back to Honda MTF.

Engine: Mobil 1 10w/30 after 10,000 miles. Castrol GTX 10w/30
up to 10,000 miles.

Hope this helps you breath easier.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:47 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

O.K.I'll tell you what to use too:
Engine:Castrol Syntech 10W30
Tranny:Redline MT-90
Diff:Redline 75W90
Old 12-08-2005, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by HOTRODS2000,Dec 8 2005, 09:28 AM
Ok. I'll tell you what I use. If you ask ten different people you'll get ten different answers.

Diff fluid: LE607 from Hardtopguy.com.

Tranny: Honda MTF from any Honda dealership or Hardtopguy.com.
I tried GM for 1500 miles and switched back to Honda MTF.

Engine: Mobil 1 10w/30 after 10,000 miles. Castrol GTX 10w/30
up to 10,000 miles.

Hope this helps you breath easier.
Haha yes it does- thanks. I think sometimes forums actually breed paranoia because I know in my head what is right but once I start reading I get flustered. All in all its my car- and between brands it's obviously going to be personal preference, I more wanted to make sure I had the right TYPE of fluid for each application, as these horror stories of wrong diff/tranny fluid makes me weary of what I'm putting in there.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Akalei,Dec 8 2005, 09:51 AM
Ok so I am going to be taking my car in next week to get an oil change, tranny fluid change and diff change. I just bought the car less than 2 months ago and I know he had the tranny fluid changed 2 years ago, the diff has never been changed, and the oil was changed right before I got it. Bought the car with 21,000k has 23,andsomechange now.

I know it's early for an oil change- but the previous owner did NOT use synthetic. I have been reading and searching to find the best combo for each of these fluids. I won't be doing the work myself, as the car needs an inspection as well so I am going to just get it all done- but I will be purchasing and bringing all the fluids in the day of. Just for my general knowledge, I assume that there isn't anything special I need to do in order to switch over to synthetic? Here is a listing of what I am thinking of picking up... just want to make sure I'm on the right track so the mechanics don't look at me like I'm special.

Diff Fluid: Mobil 1 75w90 (Is this readily avaliable or does it have to be ordered)

Tranny: GM Syncromesh FM Part # 88900399 (can someone please confirm this is the correct part #? Also, I assume my GM dealer will carry this)

Engine: Mobil 1 SuperSynth 10w30 (Again, is this readily avaliable at parts stores?)

Sorry for the newbish questions, I've never had a car I've cared about this much and I really want to treat her right Thanks in advance guys!!
You'll be fine with the products you've chosen. They are all readily available from auto parts stores. You might want to consider changing the brake fluid and clutch fluid as well. The steering fluid might be a good bet too. I say this because of the age of your s2k. Check the owners manual for recommended servicing based on the age of your car and the proper fluids to use. I would also recommend stopping at Honda to get some s2k oil filters/washers (PCX type).

What I currently use:
Diff- LE607 (I don't drive when it is below freezing)
Tranny- GM synchromesh FM
Eng oil- Pennzoil Platinum synthetic 10W-30 w/Honda filter

I hope this helps and good luck with your new S!
Old 12-08-2005, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by INDYMAC,Dec 8 2005, 10:03 AM
You'll be fine with the products you've chosen. They are all readily available from auto parts stores. You might want to consider changing the brake fluid and clutch fluid as well. The steering fluid might be a good bet too. I say this because of the age of your s2k. Check the owners manual for recommended servicing based on the age of your car and the proper fluids to use. I would also recommend stopping at Honda to get some s2k oil filters/washers (PCX type).

What I currently use:
Diff- LE607 (I don't drive when it is below freezing)
Tranny- GM synchromesh FM
Eng oil- Pennzoil Platinum synthetic 10W-30 w/Honda filter

I hope this helps and good luck with your new S!
Thank you very much for the response- yes I will be driving the car as my daily in Virginia, so it does get quite cold, hence the reason I am not considering the LE fluid. I am going to get the mechanics to give the rest of the car a good once over as far as fluids/brakes/etc...everything is working great Im loving the car, just want to make sure the "behind the scenes" stuff is all in good shape.

Thanks again!
Old 12-08-2005, 11:03 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

10 people ... 10 different answers - here's mine (easy for those who know me):

Engine - Amsoil Euro 5W40, 5W30 or 10W40. I've actually had the best luck with the 5W30 - even in hot climates. I use the Euro formula 5W40 for the 3 hottest months of the year. I have friends that have the best luck with the 10W40. My car historically burns ~0.25 US Qt per 3000 miles. The worst burn rate was when it was newer and was just over 0.5 qt per 3000 miles. After that, it went down to about 0.25 qt per 3k (Amsoil 5W30). The car is currently in storage.

Oil Filter - Honda PCX

Transmission - Amsoil MTF - Direct, full-synthetic replacement for Honda MTF and GMSMFM.

Diff - Amsoil Severe Gear 75W90 - I've tried the LE 607 and noticed that only my mileage and performance dropped. I have 4.57 gears and the Severe Gear hushes them just about as well as the LE, without the power robbing drag.

Fuel system cleaner - Redline SI-1

Coolant - Honda

Protectant (leather to tires) - 303 Aerospace protectant.

Skis - DrD
Old 12-08-2005, 12:40 PM

more cents:

Mobil1 Extended Performance 10W30 with LC20
Specialty Formulation's MTL-P
Specialty Formulation's HDS-5

A few sites for you to check out in the meantime:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi
http://www.lubecontrol.com
http://www.specialtyformulations.com/

Quick Reply: Quick yes/no question on fluids....