S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Questions abut TODA products

Old 11-21-2003, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions abut TODA products

Hey guys...

I've been turning it over in my head wether I should supercharge or go N/A. I was thinking of getting:
TODA
2.2L Stroker kit
camshafts SPEC A
valve springs
adjustable cam gears
spoon head gasket
(Some kind of fuel management AEM?)

I'm not much of a gear head, so I was thinking if you guys could help me understand better what it is I'm hoping to do then I can work on that. Of course I'd have it professionally tuned, etc.

So, any help/comments/suggestions?

THANKS
~Andrew
Old 11-21-2003, 07:30 AM

the AEM for fuel management i've heard a lot of good things about, but i personally went with the apexi VAFC. i hate to say it, but it was partially due to the fact that cutting the coin holder out and putting it there just looks cool.

here's what i'm doing. i was in a lot of the same position as you (not much of a mechanic). i'm putting the VAFC, comptech SC w/ AC (AC was important to me for the arizona heat), changed out the plugs to one range colder (again cuz of heat and SC), toda header, comptech exhaust. choose toda cuz of rep it seems to be developing on the boards here and exhaust cuz i'm planning a body kit, and i know that one will fit. i also love the sound and look of it.

when i go over to the SC, i'm also installing defi BF gauges (oil pressure and boost) and changing over to synthetic (amsoil 10w30).

there's a lot to take into consideration, and i've been spending a lot of quality time with the search function above. the people around here are more than helpful, and if you look hard enough, you should find any info you're looking for here. the boards rule.
Old 11-21-2003, 07:58 AM

Go NA, I for one would love to see the potential with these new Toda products.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:00 AM

You need to figure out if you want your car to be a daily driver or not. The Toda stroker kit puts compression in the 13:1 range. You will need to run race gas with this. If you are not going to daily drive, and still want the stroker Id go with the spec b or c toda cams. You wont need the Spoon headgasket with the stroker kit.
If you want a fast daily driver Id suggest getting a S/C.

Old 11-21-2003, 02:21 PM

I'll still be driving this very often, even if not daily, so I guess that wont quite work. Well, I've noticed some leaking where the head gasket is, so I figure I'll need to replace that and I figured since I was doing it, why not use the spoon one? With the new info then, what is the best way to daily drive a high tuned N/A s2000? Or is that not too feasable? I'm very cool with going supercharged and if in the case I go with it, what effects would the Spoon gasket have on me run the supercharger? I'm just trying to decide which way I'm going, so I can replace the gasket and work from there. Thanks!

~Andrew
Old 11-21-2003, 02:54 PM

You probably don't have a head gasket problem. you might have some seepage out of the valve cover gasket or the front of the timing chain cover. If you have a leaking headgasket your car would be running like complete sh!t.

Spoon headgasket raises the compression. Its not a mod that works with a S/C. If you want to go NA it will most likely be fine to daily drive with a spoon head gasket, but its a lot of work to change for small benifit. I see you live in CA too, the gas here sucks so raising the compression isnt that great of a idea for a daily driver.

Good NA mods for the street would be single exhaust, header, intake, vafc tuned. The jury seems to be still out on weather the toda spec A's are a good mod for the $$. Id hold off on them if I was you
Old 11-21-2003, 04:47 PM

I definately will hold out then, thanks for the help. It definately seems like I'll be going SC, but seeing the N/A possibilities is still fun.

The car isnt running like sh!t thank God! But, the seepage isn't at the valve cover, its at the next connection below that (head connecting to the block?)

~Andrew
Old 11-22-2003, 01:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the AEM, you may be able to run the 13:1 pistons with pump gas. It'll just take some careful tuning (timing retard, run rich, etc). You won't make optimal power on pump gas, but you can have another programmed setup for the times that you put in race gas, which would be more aggressive. Another option is to get the stroker kit without the high compression pistons. Then you could get custom pistons with a more reasonable CR.

As for the boosted setup, I don't think you'll want the Spoon gasket for that. It is thinner than stock, which will increase your compression ratio. That's not generally what you want to do with boost.
Old 11-23-2003, 05:59 AM

does anyone make low compression pistons for the f20c?
Old 11-23-2003, 07:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by 2QIK4YU
does anyone make low compression pistons for the f20c?
I'm sure someone does. You might try searching, or you might ask around from some of the guys running boost.

Quick Reply: Questions abut TODA products