S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Questions about break-in & oil grade

Old 03-18-2006, 04:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Questions about break-in & oil grade

I'm a new S2000 owner (bought a new 2006 Sunday), and I'm trying to get a handle on some maintenance issues. I've been reading the FAQ articles, etc., and have questions about break-in, oil, trans & diff fluids, etc.

Break-in: I'm hearing it's best to stay out of the VTEC until you've put 600 miles on it, though some disagree. I plan to honor this. So far I've only hit full throttle a few times, for half a second in 1st - 3rd, rpm < 5500. I understand that the original oil fill is a special break-in oil. Acording to Road Rage, this can be approximated on subsequent oil changes with a bottle of Valvoline MaxLive Engine Protector. Some have said break-in isn't complete until 10K miles. Really?

Up to how many miles is the MLEP helpful?

Oil grade: Lots of discussion and a variety of opinions here. OM specifies 5W-30. Some have suggested synthetics are a waste unless you plan to use extended change intervals, like once/year. I usually change oil in our cars twice a year, which at our driving rate works out to ~ 3-4K/change. I always put on a new oil filter, but have been re-using the washers. I'm going to use the Honda 1500-PCX-004, and I'll get some washers.

I guess my main question here is, 5W-30 or 10W-30? My area has moderate temperatures.
Old 03-18-2006, 04:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

stick with 10w30. you should be fine with that. follow the maintenance schedule and you'll be fine as well. it is not yet confirmed specifically what honda puts into the factory fill, though from what we've seen it's high in moly count to help breakin.

regardless, don't go to synthetic until 7500-10,000 miles. and when you change out the factory oil, use a conventional like mobil drive clean (that's what honda oil is rebadged as)

personally, I use havoline GF4 conventional oil, and change it every 5k. works fantastic, and my first UOA came back great.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:28 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Your owner's manual should be your guide. Most of your questions are answered in there.

I'm hearing it's best to stay out of the VTEC until you've put 600 miles on it
You shouldn't be "hearing" this. You should be reading this in your owner's manual. Do you want to believe what Honda has printed in a manual which they provided you or someone who nothing to do with Honda or your car telling you, "Drive the crap out of your car from the second you leave the dealer. Your car will love you for it." Who holds the warranty on your car? Honda or ............... ???????

OM specifies 5W-30
Are you sure? Mine says 5W40 or 10W30. Has something changed?

I usually change oil in our cars twice a year, which at our driving rate works out to ~ 3-4K/change.
Again, follow your owner's manual. It's based on mileage or time, whichever comes first.
Old 03-18-2006, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got an 06 also. In reading the owner's manual there does not appear to be a formal schedule per se to follow (ie change motor oil every 3K). As far as I can tell the only instructions regarding changing engine oil is to follow the maintenance minder/oil life indicator percentage display on your odometer and dash. It does say however, if you do not get a maintenance reminder to change your engine oil once a year.

If there is a maint. schedule in the manual could someone instruct me where it is. thanks

Honda recommends 10W-30 according to the owner's manual.
Old 03-18-2006, 07:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MoreCowbell,Mar 18 2006, 08:05 PM
I've got an 06 also. In reading the owner's manual there does not appear to be a formal schedule per se to follow (ie change motor oil every 3K). As far as I can tell the only instructions regarding changing engine oil is to follow the maintenance minder/oil life indicator percentage display on your odometer and dash. It does say however, if you do not get a maintenance reminder to change your engine oil once a year.

If there is a maint. schedule in the manual could someone instruct me where it is. thanks

Honda recommends 10W-30 according to the owner's manual.
Get the Helms manual. The info should be in there. Although, now that I think about it, my wife's '05 Odyssey has all the computer driven maintenance duties and there's nothing in the manual other than the standard "go by what the computer tells you." I bought the Helms for the Odyssey and there isn't any info there either. So, you may want to buy either an '05/'04 owners manual or Helms manual just to be safe.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by MoreCowbell,Mar 18 2006, 09:05 PM
It does say however, if you do not get a maintenance reminder to change your engine oil once a year.

I guess the 06 is a more sophisticated car and the owner's manual contains much less info. It seems you are more dependent upon that oil maintenance light. However, I'm surprised that no schedule is written up for other key items that are in the earlier model cars' manuals.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, i can't imagine they dont give you a schedule for diff, tranny, etc
Old 03-19-2006, 12:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wisconsin S2k,Mar 19 2006, 07:22 AM
yeah, i can't imagine they dont give you a schedule for diff, tranny, etc
It's nuts, but that's exactly the situation with my wife's '05 Odyssey - nothing in either the owner's manual or the Helms manual. You're totally dependent on the computer, or the dealership.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Harpoon,Mar 19 2006, 04:01 PM
It's nuts, but that's exactly the situation with my wife's '05 Odyssey - nothing in either the owner's manual or the Helms manual. You're totally dependent on the computer, or the dealership.
This is not surprising. Honda has invested in an expensive computer system in the MY06, so the payback will be total control ($) of the maintenance of the vehicle. Is there a DIY section of the owners manual in the MY06? If so, what sort of comments (inferences) do they make for lubrication items? Warranty voided if you DIY coming next???
Old 03-20-2006, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by INDYMAC,Mar 20 2006, 05:10 AM
Warranty voided if you DIY coming next???
That's when I STOP buying Hondas.

Quick Reply: Questions about break-in & oil grade