S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Questions about Banjo Bolts

Old 12-29-2005, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about Banjo Bolts

Hay guys, i havent posted much around here yet, since im not an owner yet but i may be a potential owner in a couple of weeks. i have a few questions. im looking into getting an 01 that has had its engine replaced because of the rod issue. My big question is is that the new engine they put in there, does it have the new banjo bolts to prevent this from happening again? and since he had to get it replaced does that mean he was beating on the car or can it happen if your the best driver in the world? im just gettin scared because i dont want to buy a car then have the engine crap ouut on me a few months down the road. Thanks

-ryan
Old 12-29-2005, 07:47 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

Pretty sure,it would never happen to your typical Granny.!!!
Old 12-29-2005, 07:56 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

does it have the new banjo bolts to prevent this from happening again?
First of all, you won't know for absolutely sure if it got the new banjo bolts put in unless you took one out and looked at it. Chances are it does have them if they didn't just take the bolts out of the old engine and just put them into the new short block. Secondly, it is very hard to prove that the engine blew because it had the old style banjo bolts in. And it is no guaranty that it won't blow again just because it "might" have the new ones in.

does that mean he was beating on the car
Not necessarily. You are making quite a few really weird assumptions that have no basis in fact. That car may have grenaded from something as simple as a spark plug backing out.

or can it happen if your the best driver in the world?
What does "best driver" have anything to do with being an owner who is conscientious about getting TSBs and recalls and maintenance done properly?
Old 12-29-2005, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper,Dec 29 2005, 08:56 PM
First of all, you won't know for absolutely sure if it got the new banjo bolts put in unless you took one out and looked at it. Chances are it does have them if they didn't just take the bolts out of the old engine and just put them into the new short block. Secondly, it is very hard to prove that the engine blew because it had the old style banjo bolts in. And it is no guaranty that it won't blow again just because it "might" have the new ones in.

Not necessarily. You are making quite a few really weird assumptions that have no basis in fact. That car may have grenaded from something as simple as a spark plug backing out.

What does "best driver" have anything to do with being an owner who is conscientious about getting TSBs and recalls and maintenance done properly?
im not making any assumptions. and i apologize if it sounded that way. ive just been reading a lot of old threads about people needing to replace thier engines and problems with honda saying they overreved the vehicle and the new banjo bolts are much better compared to the 02 and older s2ks.

reason why i asked if that meant he was beating on the car because honda describes that problem as being an overev problem, but i read a lot of guys saying they never over rev it and they still had a lot of problems

i said best driver in the world meaning just that, a good driver who takes really good care of the car and maintains it well.

thats all i was asking. sorry about the confusion
Old 12-29-2005, 10:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

mis-shifting (like going to 2nd at 80mph) is a leading cause of blown motors.

Other causes are lack of oil (KEEP IT FILLED!!!) and the spark plugs being loose.

Even if the engine doesn't have the bolts, they can be retro-fitted for about $45 in parts and 2 hours or so of labor. I don't have the statistics to back it up, but the later engines seem to blow less often.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:30 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

Banjo bolts cannot prevent a blown engine,when overreving;Banjo or not,it will BLOW.!!!
New Banjo Bolts were introduced by Honda,specially for European market,where some engines would blow,after very long periods of sustained very high speeds,on the autobahns (no speed limits there);most likely,would not happen,in North-America,you would get arrested,"loong" before that.!!!
If it blew,unless it was a spark problem,as stated by Xviper,chances are,it's owner was not a VERY GOOD DRIVER,in the sense you meant.!!!
Old 12-30-2005, 05:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If he blew the motor he probably had one of three things.

1. No oil
2. mechanical over rev
3. Backed out spark plug

There, the distilled version for easy reading.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:28 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

There you have it. The two posters above hit it right on.

Don't place so much importance upon these banjo bolts. They are like insurance and the necessity of having the new ones is, as yet, not confirmed. People with the new bolts still blow engines. In case you don't quite know what they do ................. They provide a channel that feeds the oiljet spray nozzles that point to the underside of each piston. The new 4-hole bolts (as opposed to the old 2-hole bolts) provides for a more efficient oil spray. This oil spray serves two functions: 1. to lubricate and 2. to cool.
It has not been determined that for the kind of driving that N. Americans do, that these are absolutely necessary. Honda went to the new bolts worldwide after the European recall just because of this "insurance" thing and because it's a lot easier to put the same thing into all the cars.