S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Questionable Dyno figures on my AP1...

Old 01-12-2007, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackStar,Jan 12 2007, 07:58 AM
I'm refering to your ignition timing. For ecu tuning, the more money you spend, the better the results. Those vafc things can't adjust ignition timing, only the a/f ratio, which is probably all you need. You car is going to be running rich, and leaning it out will make you more power.
Alryt man Thanks for the clarification
Old 01-12-2007, 07:24 AM

i know its not very accurate but what does your butt dyno read?

do you honestly feel like the car is faster?
Old 01-12-2007, 08:13 AM

After I first got my car, totally stock, it dyno'd at 204 whp. Shortly after that I installed a Mugen header and exhaust and an AEM intake. With those mods, on the same dyno the car only got 189 whp. Thats when I decided the only way to make power was turbo. I have yet to see a header that makes more power than the stock one.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fperra,Jan 12 2007, 12:13 PM
After I first got my car, totally stock, it dyno'd at 204 whp. Shortly after that I installed a Mugen header and exhaust and an AEM intake. With those mods, on the same dyno the car only got 189 whp. Thats when I decided the only way to make power was turbo. I have yet to see a header that makes more power than the stock one.
Not even the J's header? Your car sick btw
Old 01-12-2007, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by TrackStar,Jan 12 2007, 09:19 AM
Not even the J's header? Your car sick btw
I will be a lot "sicker" when I get finished with my latest build.

ZiTrO, next time you dyno, reset the ECU before you get on the rollers. I'll bet you pick up 5 - 10 whp.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:01 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fperra,Jan 12 2007, 09:13 AM

All "power" mods are peeing in a bucket for questionable gains except for FI.

Go gears and you'll be able to use your horsepower better. It doesn't change your hp to rpm numbers, but does change your hp @ xx mph curve (pushes curve to the left).

IMHO: get something like an accelerometer to test your "real world" performance. You can then use it in other cars to test how they fare in comparison. And it helps to check youself after modifications and whether or not your engine is running at full performance.

The absolute numbers on the accelerometer may not match the car mags, but the relative times should be consistent if you run on the same flat road. And the nice thing is that you can do 0-60 runs without breaking the posted speed limit!

Merely chasing peak hp numbers is like measuring swing speed in golf. It's only a surrogate for distance. But if you can't execute, you can have a 120mph swing and a 70 yard drive.... Same thing with the dyno. If you get 20 hp extra at peak... at 8900 rpm - 9000 rpm, yippee for you. I'd rather have my 20 hp less at peak, but a flatter hp curve yielding a higher AUC (area under the curve).

For example, my stock 0-60 was ~5.5 sec with a standard "launch."
My Comptech SC (5#) with AC and 4.57 gears was 4.7 sec on snow tires....
Both these times were reproducible within 1-2 tenths across different days.

Maybe I'll drop another 10th after I install the higher boost pulley sitting on my desk.... meh, I'll wait until Spring and try it with my S02s.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Tyraid2K,Jan 12 2007, 08:24 AM
i know its not very accurate but what does your butt dyno read?

do you honestly feel like the car is faster?
Yeah, my butt dyno does read that it is faster than what is reflected in the dyno sheet hehehe
Old 01-12-2007, 09:43 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You might want to get a compression test. Those are pretty low. The 18" wheels are hurting you, but it should not be that much. Note that the DynaPack takes the reading at the hub, so it should eliminate hp drag caused by wheel weight.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by fperra,Jan 12 2007, 09:13 AM
Man, now that's weird. 204 then with mods it dropped to 189? At least now I'm getting to see that dynoes can be inaccurate at times. If it can be inaccurate, how about in terms of the A/F ratio in the dyno sheet, can it also be affected by the inaccuracy?
Old 01-12-2007, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by CKit,Jan 12 2007, 10:01 AM

All "power" mods are peeing in a bucket for questionable gains except for FI.

Go gears and you'll be able to use your horsepower better. It doesn't change your hp to rpm numbers, but does change your hp @ xx mph curve (pushes curve to the left).

IMHO: get something like an accelerometer to test your "real world" performance. You can then use it in other cars to test how they fare in comparison. And it helps to check youself after modifications and whether or not your engine is running at full performance.

The absolute numbers on the accelerometer may not match the car mags, but the relative times should be consistent if you run on the same flat road. And the nice thing is that you can do 0-60 runs without breaking the posted speed limit!

Merely chasing peak hp numbers is like measuring swing speed in golf. It's only a surrogate for distance. But if you can't execute, you can have a 120mph swing and a 70 yard drive.... Same thing with the dyno. If you get 20 hp extra at peak... at 8900 rpm - 9000 rpm, yippee for you. I'd rather have my 20 hp less at peak, but a flatter hp curve yielding a higher AUC (area under the curve).

For example, my stock 0-60 was ~5.5 sec with a standard "launch."
My Comptech SC (5#) with AC and 4.57 gears was 4.7 sec on snow tires....
Both these times were reproducible within 1-2 tenths across different days.

Maybe I'll drop another 10th after I install the higher boost pulley sitting on my desk.... meh, I'll wait until Spring and try it with my S02s.

Yeah dude, I also have this in mind as one of my future mods for my AP1. It's great to have gears that can make you accelerate faster Thanks for the infos man, definitely appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Questionable Dyno figures on my AP1...