S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Question for those who have the AEM V1 intake

Old 01-21-2013, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for those who have the AEM V1 intake

So I just finished installing the AEM V1 cold air intake into my s2k last night. While I didn't run into any major problems, I do have a few questions for those who also have this intake. First of all, due to reading about the V1 and V2 water problems, I read that the end of the piping for the V1 isn't supposed to curve upward like the V2, and it looks like it doesn't from pictures. However, mine does. Now I dont think this is a big deal, but I'm just wondering if its cause I put in the pipes in a weird angle or not. Secondly, I did not take off the front bumper to do this install so when trying to put on the filter at the end after the pipes were all in place, it was nearly impossible to get the filter on because the end of the tube was so close to the back of the front bumper. So now, with the filter on, the very front of the filter is touching the back of the front bumper. Is this going to be a problem? Did I do something wrong, cause I don't think its supposed to be like this. I also didn't clamp down the filter onto the tube because the supplied clamps did not fit, I dont know why. So if anyone with this intake has theirs differently than mine, please let me know.

BTW, did anyone get a check engine light after installing a CAI? I read up about it and I made sure the vacuum lines were all correctly connected, and the CEL wouldn't go away so I reset the ecu via pulling the fuse and now its gone, hopefully it stays gone. Let me also know about any CEL problems anyone else ran into due to intakes. Thanks!
Old 01-21-2013, 08:23 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Whenever you install an intake like this, you mess with those vacuum lines. If you turn on the engine when those lines aren't connected or when they are not hooked up right, you will get a CEL. No, the CEL will not go out without driving for many miles or several driving cycles with the lines and the white check valve in the correct orientation. Resetting the ECU will turn it off but it will come back on if the lines are not correct. You should know in about 1 or 2 drives.
Sounds to me you didn't install the intake piping correctly. The filter should fit without anything touching. However, this is not a big deal so long as all the joints are clamped and sealed properly. Even the angle up on the inlet portion of the pipe is no big deal. Just make an umbrella to prevent water from falling onto the filter from above. Every time you wash the car or when it rains, water, will go through that hole at the edge of the hood lip and fall directly onto the filter where it will then collect in that first elbow. Next time you fire up the engine, chances are all that water gets sucked up the pipe. Oh, you can also plug that hole.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by xviper
Whenever you install an intake like this, you mess with those vacuum lines. If you turn on the engine when those lines aren't connected or when they are not hooked up right, you will get a CEL. No, the CEL will not go out without driving for many miles or several driving cycles with the lines and the white check valve in the correct orientation. Resetting the ECU will turn it off but it will come back on if the lines are not correct. You should know in about 1 or 2 drives.
Sounds to me you didn't install the intake piping correctly. The filter should fit without anything touching. However, this is not a big deal so long as all the joints are clamped and sealed properly. Even the angle up on the inlet portion of the pipe is no big deal. Just make an umbrella to prevent water from falling onto the filter from above. Every time you wash the car or when it rains, water, will go through that hole at the edge of the hood lip and fall directly onto the filter where it will then collect in that first elbow. Next time you fire up the engine, chances are all that water gets sucked up the pipe. Oh, you can also plug that hole.
Thanks for the info. I know the CEL comes on when the vacuum lines are hooked up incorrectly, but I checked multiple times and even rewired them in different configurations and it still shows up. Maybe it is because my car is running lean? Some people said this si the reason, although im only running an exhaust and now the intake. I did clamp and seal everything, so I guess I won;t be adjusting the pipes since it isnt a big deal. Its just the CEL that's bothering me.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:53 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by leoxle
Thanks for the info. I know the CEL comes on when the vacuum lines are hooked up incorrectly, but I checked multiple times and even rewired them in different configurations and it still shows up. Maybe it is because my car is running lean? Some people said this si the reason, although im only running an exhaust and now the intake. I did clamp and seal everything, so I guess I won;t be adjusting the pipes since it isnt a big deal. Its just the CEL that's bothering me.
There's no point in rewiring in different configurations. There is only 1 correct way. Either you have them correct or not. Following all the hose routing from the very first tube on the top of the engine, all the way around and back to the second tube. The white check valve also needs to be in right way around. If you've gotten that backwards, it won't work. You need to find a diagram or a picture of where all those lines come from and where they go.
As for the CEL, I just assumed you pulled the code so you know exactly what it is that is throwing the CEL. If you didn't, you're just guessing. Most intake add-ons will cause a P0411, because the lines got crossed and the check valve got reversed. You don't know you have a lean condition. Most of these intakes will not throw a lean code, which is completely different than the P0411 code.
Have you read this ................. https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/171...led-wpictures/
or this ...................... https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/284...ory-on-my-cai/
Old 01-21-2013, 06:26 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

XV is spot on. Check the orientation of the check valve Most likely P0411 cell which is the secondary air pump. The check valve is about 3/4" long and is on the vacuum line going to the top of the black box near the frame rail ( 2 other hoses there as well). Make sure the white nipple is towards the black box. As to the fit issue you installed the rubber mount wrong on the tube near the filter. How do we know these things without looking? Question has been asked many times and resolved many times as well......

Utah

P.S. XV's link is incorrect on mounting for V1. Google AEM/Cold Air Intake/ Honda S2000 AP1 year/ installation instructions......should be clear where you went wrong.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:11 PM

Alright you guys, thanks for all the replies. The code was indeed a P0411 so I know that it has to do with the secondary air injection system, most likely the vacuum hoses; however, one thing I don't get is, if its because of the check valve, it isn't possible because I never replaced the factory hoses that connected to the check valve because AEM only gave me one vacuum hose. So I guess I wired the one I replaced wrong. Hopefully fixing this will make the CEL go away. If it doesn't, I dont know what will fix it, as I'm sure its not a faulty solenoid, or a failed ECU Transistor.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It will be a reversed hose or check valve 99.9% of the time. Check your hoses (make sure they are slid on as far as they can go ) and routed as in the instruction sheet for the V1 on the AEM website. You can clear the code with a scan tool, disconnecting the negative battery terminal, or pulling fuse 25 under the driver side dash.

Good luck,

Utah
Old 01-23-2013, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Utah S2K
It will be a reversed hose or check valve 99.9% of the time. Check your hoses (make sure they are slid on as far as they can go ) and routed as in the instruction sheet for the V1 on the AEM website. You can clear the code with a scan tool, disconnecting the negative battery terminal, or pulling fuse 25 under the driver side dash.

Good luck,

Utah
Thanks Utah. I will most likely be checking this up on Friday, so when I do, I'll report back and let you know how it all went.