S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Question for those who have 4.44 gears

Old 05-16-2003, 09:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question for those who have 4.44 gears

I just had my gears installed yesterday and everything seemed fine. I watched the whole install process and the technician(a friend of mine at an Acura dealership) took his time and was very careful. Afterwards we went for a test drive with the windows down and everything sounded good. Then on my way home I had the windows up and radio off and I could hear a faint humming noise coming from the rear. It sounded like when you turn on a sink lightly and the water is coming out in a small stream. If I wasn't so focused on listening for wierd noises I could have easily looked over it. It starts when I go past 20 mph and I can role in neutral and still hear it. It dosen't get any louder at higher speeds or at a stopped postion. It is such a light noise that it was raining today and I couldn't hear it over the the tires going over the wet street.

I talked to the mechanic today and he referenced with a few of the other guys and the felt that the noise might be from over tightened rear diff. carrier bearings.

I also spoke with Keith, the guy who has done 20 installs in Virginia, he suggested that it could be a numerous amount of things wrong. He couldn't pin point the problem over the phone which is understandable.

I'm really worried that I might need all new gears, bearings and washers. I'm afraid to drive the car even though it does feel fine. Has anyone else had a similar prblem wiht the gears? What do you guys think I should do, besides tear it down again? I'm guessing I have to anyway. From what I hear the gears shouldn't make any noise at all, no matter how indiscreet.
Old 05-16-2003, 09:22 PM

PLEASE HELP

Should I not be driving the car at all until the problem is fixed? I only out about 7 miles on it so far. If something is wrong will the rear seize up or explode?
Old 05-17-2003, 05:50 AM
Former Sponsor

How many diff gear changes has you mechanic done? In other words, what's his experience with this specific kind of work?

We keep emphasizing that this must be done by a mechanic with specific experience on diff gear changes. It's not enough to be an experienced or "good" mechanic -- if the person lacks experience with this kind of differential work, he may very well learn at your expense.

As Keith indicated, this could be any number of problems, or it may be nothing at all. If your mechanic has sufficient diff gear install experience, I suspect it may be nothing at all. If he doesn't, I'd take it to someone who does, have it taken apart again, carefully inspected, and reinstalled to precise specs. Hopefully there's nothing wrong, but if your mechanic lacked the necessary diff gear experience, I would take nothing for granted.
Old 05-17-2003, 10:34 PM

He has done a few rears but never an S2000. I talked to him today and him and a couple of the other guys think it might be that the crush bearing is either to tight or to loose. This is also one of the situations that Keith said it might be. He'll take a look at it on monday.
Old 05-18-2003, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would stay with this guy until it is resolved.

Intoducing another mechanic should be your last option.
Doing this too soon causes finger pointing and extra cost which you bear.

If you mechanic cannot do the job right, make him find and pay for someone to do it right.

I had mine installed by a Good mechanic that had never done an s2000, and it came out perfect. He also gave me a one year warranty.