S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Question I can not find the answer to anywhere!

Old 04-07-2011, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question I can not find the answer to anywhere!

If you already have a SOLID CEL light on from a cold air intake, IF your car has a major problem will the CEL light start flashing?? I don't mind driving with the CEL light since I know what the problem is, but I want to know if I have a major problem.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kcolin
If you already have a SOLID CEL light on from a cold air intake, IF your car has a major problem will the CEL light start flashing?? I don't mind driving with the CEL light since I know what the problem is, but I want to know if I have a major problem.
Why does your car have a CEL from an intake? Did you not buy the right intake? If you had a MAJOR incident that was a detrimental CEL (flashing) I'd imagine that would override any CEL already on. However you won't know if you have more CEL codes that pop up over time.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:14 PM

You might want to get that CEL checked because I've never heard of an air intake throwing one. Maybe you have some hoses mixed up? I have a temporary one too from my TP so I just got the cheapest scanner advance auto had and just check and clear it occasionally. Like white said. You only get flashes when something really bad is wrong with your car to where you need to pull it over immediately. Otherwise, you won't be able to tell if another one pops up without a scanner.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:07 PM

I thought if you have even very small crack on your intake, it can cause misfire.
Go to local autozone or pepboys and ask em to read codes.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:11 AM

I know it's P0410 and figured out my air pump is not working.... I dont want to spend the $600 to replace it right now. I do have a cheap scanner and am able to check the codes monthly (forgot to put that it) But I just want to make sure a flash will over ride a solid.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:02 PM

yes, a flashing CEL will override a solid CEL.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can pick up a used perfectly functional airpump for around 125 around here now a days
Old 04-09-2011, 04:10 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

this is too of coincidence that you got air pump cel after CAI install.

maybe you got something wrong with hoses/connections?
Old 04-09-2011, 07:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

9 times out of 10 the air pump code is not actually the air pump gone bad.

It's usually one of your vacuum lines isn't hooked up properly or at all. The dealer did that to my car on accident one time (left one unhooked) and it threw that code. I took it back and they told me the same bs about the air pump being bad and it costing x amount to fix it. I told them to go to hell. I took it home, found the unhooked vacuum hose, hooked it back up, cleared the CEL and haven't had a CEL or any problems since. Might want to check yours out. It's highly likely thats all it is.

And on the off chance it actually is the air pump, I have one I'll sell you. I removed mine.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by TerminatioN
9 times out of 10 the air pump code is not actually the air pump gone bad.

It's usually one of your vacuum lines isn't hooked up properly or at all. The dealer did that to my car on accident one time (left one unhooked) and it threw that code. I took it back and they told me the same bs about the air pump being bad and it costing x amount to fix it. I told them to go to hell. I took it home, found the unhooked vacuum hose, hooked it back up, cleared the CEL and haven't had a CEL or any problems since. Might want to check yours out. It's highly likely thats all it is.

And on the off chance it actually is the air pump, I have one I'll sell you. I removed mine.

id say ^ termination is right, check your vacuum lines. make sure everything is good. scan tools dont tell you what to fix, so for all we know you could have a perfectly fine air pump but a vacuum line from the air pump could be bugged. check out your stuff before wasting the money.

Quick Reply: Question I can not find the answer to anywhere!