S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

QUESTION: Cleaning Throttle Body

Old 05-24-2021, 05:02 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
Default QUESTION: Cleaning Throttle Body

Question on cleaning your TB. It may be posted somewhere, however I was unable to find it.

How often do you clean and change the gasket on your S2000? Also, any tips on removing the gasket would be greatly appreciated.

After seeing mine, I will be checking it more often!

Thank you!
Old 05-24-2021, 05:04 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Never cleaned a single throttle body, not my car or any clients.

What are you trying to fix?
Old 05-24-2021, 06:03 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Doing general spring maintenance. Did a “Billman” valve adjustment and amazing!

At 45k miles I thought it would be prudent to check air filter and TB. I was surprised how dirty the TB was.

There are instructions in the service manual for cleaning the TB , however no interval listed. After doing the re-learn procedure I took it for a night drive last evening.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:38 AM

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

I think you should clean your IACV with brake cleaner spray; you can do it with out removing it [Not ideal] ; if you have 10mm it's 3 bolts and just use a q tip to get inside and ensure all the gunk gets out.

See Jason's Videos
Old 05-24-2021, 11:02 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, however I do not think MY06 has an IACV.

The TB was not difficult removing and reinstalling, maybe 15-20 minutes each. The cleaning was a PITA! According to Honda you do not spray directly into the TB, wipe off the carbon with a paper towel soaked with cleaner and do not clean the bearing area.

The gasket was quite difficult to remove without scaring the surface and took me 2 1/2 hours to remove it and clean the carbon. Honda does not elaborate on how to remove the gasket. I took my time and patience.

If anyone knows of an easy way to remove the gasket it would be helpful.

Thank you all.
Old 05-24-2021, 02:25 PM

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,086 Posts

A solvent like acetone, available home depot, often removes much of a gasket, by dissolving what is causing it to stick.

You can get plastic scrapers from harbor freight, which definitely won't scratch metal. Letting the solvent soak a good long while, rhen scraping, often works well for such gaskets.

Youbare correct, DBW cars do not have an iacv (the ecu just controls butterfly to achieve same result).
Old 05-24-2021, 02:31 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by stock06
Question on cleaning your TB. It may be posted somewhere, however I was unable to find it.

How often do you clean and change the gasket on your S2000? Also, any tips on removing the gasket would be greatly appreciated.

After seeing mine, I will be checking it more often!

Thank you!
On my first car (bulletproof cast iron block), I remember dumping a can of throttle body cleaner in the TB - started the car with plumes of smoke. It was definitely smoother, but I wouldn't do that to an S2000. At most, I would spray some throttle body cleaner on a rag and clean in and around the throttle plate and leave it at that.
Old 05-24-2021, 02:36 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Again, what problem are you guys trying to solve by cleaning the TB?
The following users liked this post:
clio (05-24-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 02:41 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
Again, what problem are you guys trying to solve by cleaning the TB?
Probably an OCD problem rather than a problem with the car In my defence, never cleaned the TB on an S2000!
Old 05-25-2021, 07:55 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Personally I had made a list in February 2019 of things to check and maintain before joining the Forum. That list was composed using the following as a guide, which also led me to S2ki Forum:

S2000.club - Learnings and Tips

#88 reads: Clean your throttle body, MAP sensor, and MAP sensor tunnel regularly to combat confused ECU A/F ratios and the dreaded bucking / stalling / hesitation problem. Don't forget to Shin-Etsu the MAP sensor O-ring.

I admit postponing some items on the list and as stated above, after seeing the dirty TB my OCD must have kicked in. Lol! Being old school, my Grandfather taught me that lubrication was the life of you machinery. I learned to drive and maintain equipment on an old Ford tractor as a child.

Using the Service Manual section 11-499, page 795 I followed Honda’s document.

Maybe I should leave well enough alone, I realize the ECU compensates for build up on the TB. Old habits of keeping an intake clean are hard to break!?!

Thanks for the support!

Quick Reply: QUESTION: Cleaning Throttle Body