S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

question berk test pipe

Old 11-22-2005, 08:47 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

For those into weight savings the Berk is light at 3-1/4 lbs. The others weigh up to 10 lbs. Since the Cat is only 12 lbs it makes sense to get the lightest one. The Amuse Ti is around one lb but costs as much as 3 or 4 of these Berks.

If you close up the hole to the O2 sensor some it will probably stop the CELs. A little dab of high heat resistant goop like muffler patching compound or a little tack from a welder to close the hole by 1/2 or more would probably work. Strange they don't know which way the thing should go.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper,Nov 21 2005, 09:30 PM
I don't know what a "creader" tool is. Maybe it doesn't read OBD II.

This Berk pipe is poorly designed. The angle of the O2 sensor extension is pointed WRONG. It is feeding exhaust right at the sensor. The angle should be the complete opposite. Not a lot of thought went into this product as many people who have installed one have now reported CELs. You can try a non-fouler to extend the distance even further but it may still not be enough.
I guess it was a bad idea to try and save a few bucks over the T1R test pipe and a couple of non-foulers.
Hold on a second here, someone pointed me over to this thread for a heads up on what's being said here.

First off, xviper, you've probably never had any of our parts in your hands before. You need to look at the design of the pipe, why it's pointed that way, and why it works.

The head of the sensor is pointed directly towards the stream of exhaust gas so that it will still read some of the gases. The port that is drilled into the main 65mm tubing of the test pipe is a 6.5mm hole. The amount of gas directed at the sensor would be roughly 10% of amount of gas that it would normally see. The reason why the hole is that small is we have the absence of the catalytic converter. The secondary O2 sesnor will be more sensitive to 10% of untreated exhuast gas vs. 10% of treated exhaust gas (via the converter).

So what does the spark plug non-fouler do? It pulls the O2 sensor away from the main exhaust gas stream and restricts the amount gas getting to the sensor.

What does our O2 bung extension do? It pulls the O2 sensor away from the main exhaust gas stream and restricts the amount gas getting to the sensor.

So designed poorly? And pointed the wrong direction? If you were to reverse the direction of the bung the O2 sensor would read virtually NO exhaust gas. If it were pointed that way, anytime there was exhaust gas flowing you would have a vacuum inside that housing. You might as well just seal it off in that case.

About people pulling codes after the installation of our pipes, some of them will happen. It's just like the situation that we have with our Nissan Intakes. We use only Apexi dry element air filters so that they do not damage the oil residue sensitive MAF sensors. So if you were to put an Apexi filter on a Nissan are you guaranteed not to break a MAF sensor? Of course not, plenty of them go bad on 100% stock cars.

And with out test pipe are you guaranteed never to trip a P0420? No, of course not. If you read these boards, people are pulling that same code every other day with stock cats and straight pipes. The moral of my story is that with our test pipe (as with our Nissan intakes), you are not guaranteed to never have a P0420 code, but your chances of tripping one are greatly reduced.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:21 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I never realized that Berk was a board sponsor. I apologize for speaking negatively about a sponsor's product. I shall now remain silent on this matter. I will not offer my usual rebuttal here. This topic is now at an end for me.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had my berk pipe on the car for about 1200 miles now with no CEL, including about 300 miles of very spirited driving. I didn't think to look before I installed it, but is the hole in the main pipe that feeds the offshoot pipe the same size as the offshoot?
Old 11-26-2005, 11:08 PM

Although my CEL went off I still greatly enjoy this product. I just need to find a way to fix the CEL. I guess I will just cover up the hole? That would work right? I do not regret this test pipe in any way. I love how it feels on my butt dyno and I love the way it sounds. It compliments the stock exhaust perfectly. I was seriously about to get new exhaust but after putting on the test pipe all my friends who ride with me say I dont need exhaust because it already sounds great. So I guess I will save a lot of money there . Anyways, while some like myself may get a CEL, it is in no way a poorly designed product. Its awesome!

By the way, why would some get CEL and not others? Does this mean the ones with a CEL run richer?
Old 11-27-2005, 05:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine threw a CEL after I had it idling for 30 minutes while tuning the stereo.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:21 PM

Berk Test pipe =

I just bought mine and it makes my car sound awsome. I did get a CEL after about 300 miles but have a scanner under the seat so I pulled over and erased it. I would say it is worth it for the sound and gains and only takes a sec to fix. I give a for the pipe.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:44 PM

Just curious, but are the people that get the CEL doing a lot of idling? I would think that exhaust fumes are more likely to "build up" (for lack of a better term) in the O2 bung. I have never got a cel after 500miles of very hard driving. But I also dont let my car idle very long.

Just a thought.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Nov 26 2005, 07:21 PM
I never realized that Berk was a board sponsor. I apologize for speaking negatively about a sponsor's product. I shall now remain silent on this matter. I will not offer my usual rebuttal here. This topic is now at an end for me.
xviper: not to start a flame issue here, but a lot of us here value your input and I understand your response concerning Berk's being a Sponsor, but opinions and suggestions is what makes this forum wonderful

Concerning the Berk's TP. I was one of the first to get a Cel w/ the TP and at first thought it was my SC that may have caused it, but now think it really depends on the car and several other issues. I have resetted my cel a few times, but have left it alone for the past 1000 miles or so and it comes and goes (resets itself and comes back and reset itself). So my point is, the product is , but it doesn't guarentee NO Cel
Old 11-29-2005, 06:11 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by C4SxM5,Nov 28 2005, 11:43 PM
xviper: not to start a flame issue here, but a lot of us here value your input and I understand your response concerning Berk's being a Sponsor, but opinions and suggestions is what makes this forum wonderful No reports (to my knowledge) of any S2000 owner having to reset the light. No incidents of "coming and going".
Thanks for that. As long as Berk is a sponsor, I will not speak out negatively about their products. I will let their history speak for themselves.

However, I will speak in terms of the spark plug non-fouler method being fitted at 90 degrees (right angles to the test pipe). To date, there have been NO reported incidents of CELs with anyone who has utilized this method (double non-foulers). I have personally used this method for many months, for many thousands of miles on a supercharged car with never a hint of a CEL. I idle as much as anyone, being a city daily driven car. My car runs as rich (if not richer under boost) than anyone else's. It also runs lean during non-boost times and I get phenomenal fuel economy. So, making dispensations for "idling a lot" or running rich or lean, holds no water here.
I will let you come to your own conclusions.

Quick Reply: question berk test pipe