S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Question for anyone who has had both the Spoon and Mugen intake

Old 11-21-2003, 08:36 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Question for anyone who has had both the Spoon and Mugen intake

I currently have a Spoon intake and I am thinking of getting a Mugen instead ... any real benefit(s) in changing - performance wise. This is for a non-track car, so I am more interested in real world benefits. I do understand you have to cut the hood with the Mugen.

Thanks for any and all input.

- J
Old 11-21-2003, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jaysom
I currently have a Spoon intake and I am thinking of getting a Mugen instead ... any real benefit(s) in changing - performance wise.
Old 11-22-2003, 04:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have not had the Spoon but have had several intakes and am convinced the Mugen provides the best performance, and does it with less intake noise than most. Instrumented test show a substantial improvement over the stock air box which is what a Spoon snorkel is using, but I don't think there are any documented comparisons.
Old 11-22-2003, 07:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have tried both and personally I didnt like the Spoon, I didnt think it actually worked since its basically an extension of the stock OEM airbox. I might be wrong since I only had it on for less than 2 weeks
Old 11-22-2003, 01:04 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks guys for the input ... you don't happen to know anything about the Mugen copies that are e-bay and other areas. Also, is cutting the hood really that big a deal and do you have to remove the bumper for the Mugen install?
Old 11-22-2003, 01:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had several intakes as well and can tell you there probably wont be that big of a difference between the two. I have had the Spoon airduct and Js Racing CAI. I can tell you first hand I didnt notice that big of a difference between those two. I know you asked about the Mugen. I have seen the Mugen up close and where it draws air from on the OEM front bumper is limited VS lets say the Js Racing or Spoon airduct. Now if you have the Mugen SS front bumper then that intake should work very well since it has a cut in the front for the Mugen intake. I am waiting on Smcurry to get the front bumper then I will take it for a spin..

BTW you dont have to remove the front bumper or anything like that to cut the hood. I have the real Js Racing CF hood and used a dremel to cut it. Just make sure if your cutting a cf hood or OEM hood you wear the correct protective equipment. I actually measured the cut on the hood on the car and went an 1/8 over so I knew for a fact the hood would close..
Old 11-22-2003, 02:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by cdelena
I have not had the Spoon but have had several intakes and am convinced the Mugen provides the best performance, and does it with less intake noise than most. Instrumented test show a substantial improvement over the stock air box which is what a Spoon snorkel is using, but I don't think there are any documented comparisons.
What do you consider "substantial"? Thanks.
Old 11-22-2003, 03:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Road Rage
Old 11-22-2003, 05:04 PM

My graphs were lost when photopoint went out of business. This is what I recovered from the old post:

S2000 Mugen CAI equipped gains slowly and at 9 seconds, after covering over 200 meters, it is about 4 meters ahead. This was starting from 4th at 50km/h with no shifting involved.

I recall that gains were mostly in the low rpm range (surprisingly) and at the top end (as expected).

There is an audible hiss at idle, at least with mine, that is totally filtered out with the stock airbox.

This is definitely a good mod.
Old 11-22-2003, 05:07 PM

The Spoon duct is slightly restrictive compared to the Mugen unit.

I don't think it's worth the money to replace the Spoon duct with a Mugen intake. Just get a good filter element and work on the stock air box a bit and you'll be done.

Quick Reply: Question for anyone who has had both the Spoon and Mugen intake