S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Question about replacing exhaust tip

Old 02-25-2006, 05:49 AM
vbb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about replacing exhaust tip

Sorry in advance, this might be a multi-part question.

I managed to bend the right exhaust tip on my stock AP2 exhaust. Don't ask how, because it is a long story, but let's just say it was in a slight accident. The best way I can describe this without pictures is that while my left exhaust tip is pointing straight back as it's supposed to, my right exhaust tip is crinkled and pointing down and to the extreme right, and the muffler is a little bent and dinged up on that side as well. I checked the piping "behind" the muffler, closer to the catalytic converter, and it's fine. The only bend/damage is the slight bend on the muffler itself, and the entirely jacked up tip.

Obviously I want to fix this. From the looks of it, for everything to line up properly, I'll need a new muffler for the right side with a new tip and all. Now if this were any of my previous cars, I would just go and buy something, and call it a day. But because of the dual set up, I need it to match. On to the questions:

-Is it possible to just buy a new AP2 muffler and tip from somewhere? If so, where?

-Would it be most cost effective for me to just buy an entirely new cat-back exhaust system (so that I can just bolt the new one right up as opposed to paying for a muffler, then taking it to a shop to cut the old one off and weld the new one on?

-If I'm looking at a new exhaust, anyone have any ideas on an aftermarket systems that are quiet (or at least not buzzy like some aftermarket systems)?

-Is anyone selling a stock AP2 catback or used aftermarket exhaust (if so, just PM please).

If you read all of that and think you can advise, please do. I'm a sad soldier right now as this is the first blemish on my baby. Thanks!
Old 02-25-2006, 06:19 AM

wel, the s2000 exhaust is pretty much all 1 piece, so if you wanted to replace one component, you'd be looking at cutting and welding.
Old 02-25-2006, 06:53 AM
vbb

Originally Posted by 03_AP1,Feb 25 2006, 11:19 AM
wel, the s2000 exhaust is pretty much all 1 piece, so if you wanted to replace one component, you'd be looking at cutting and welding.
That's pretty much what I figured. So I guess I'm looking at either buying an AP2 catback or aftermarket.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:46 AM

vbeachboy, Sorry to hear of your unfortunate incident. If I see anything I will shoot you a PM. Good luck with the repair pal.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:14 AM
vbb

Originally Posted by shittles,Feb 25 2006, 12:46 PM
vbeachboy, Sorry to hear of your unfortunate incident. If I see anything I will shoot you a PM. Good luck with the repair pal.
Appreciate the concern man, thanks! Even though I just posted this, I've pretty much decided that my best option would be to get an aftermarket catback, if I like it, great, if I don't I'm sure someone out there would be willing to trade me their used AP2 exhaust for my aftermarket one. I wasn't planning on changing out the exhaust before, but I guess this gives me a reason to try something new.

Once I get the AP2 exhaust off of my car, I'll see if I can somehow get it repaired.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:07 AM

Based on what I've read, IF you decide to go with an aftermarket exhaust, you might want to look into the Comptech piece. I hear that it is quiet compared to others on the market. It also looks nice
Old 02-27-2006, 09:43 AM
vbb

Just thought I'd update the thread to say that the problem turned out to be a much easier fix than I first thought. The muffler shop had my car back to normal after about 5 minutes. All I need to do is order a new tip, because my old one is mangled pretty bad.

Whew, that's $$$ I just saved by not having to buy a new exhaust!