S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Question about CLUTCH

Old 02-05-2007, 05:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about CLUTCH

I have an '01 with about 65k; had the clutch replaced about a year ago at 55k with a Spec stage 2 and an aluminum flywheel. About a month ago, I started having trouble going in gear from a stop. Now, when the car is off, I can shift into all the gears with no problem; start the car in nuetral and I can't get it in gear; I have to start the car in gear and then it jerks, like the clutch is not disengaging and then it will kind of jerk and run fine. Once I get it going, it shifts fine. My problem, I took it to 3 mechanics, 2 of which, said I needed a new clutch and the whole clutch assembly(one only drove it around the block and came up with that conclusion) and the other just said that my pressure plate was sticking and that it was fine. I had a friend of mine that said it sounded like the master cylinder or slave cylinder, which sounds right to me. Just wanted to see if anyone else on here has had this problem or these issues with their car. Thanks for reading all of this, any help would be appreciated as I know next to nothing about fixing cars.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:13 AM

It sounds like your not completely disengaging the clutch, so its dragging. Before doing anything else, check a few basics. First, make sure that you can push the clutch all the way to the floor. Sometimes the carpet gets in the way, sometimes the seat is too far back, etc. If it still drags when clutch pedal is pressed all the way to the firewall, then there might be either a fluid leak or air trapped in the hydraulic line between the master cylinder and the slave cylinder. Inspect for leaking hydraulic fluid along the entire length of clutch hose, including master and slave cylinders at each end. Search here for 'clutch bleeding" to get directions on how to remove air from line. If problem persists, then and only then do a clutch travel adjustment. Search here for directions on that procedure. If all of the above fail to fix the problem, then pull the clutch and inspect.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:13 AM

Here are some of the things I would check..

- Clutch fluid level: inspect for leaks

- Slave cylinder: Have a buddy sit in the car and press the clutch pedal.
You have to remove the dust boot and check the action of the SC and shift fork.

I think your clutch disc is dragging against the splines on the transmission input shaft and as a result is remaining in contact with the flywheel.

Heres something to check out:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...dragging+clutch