S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Question about this Alaniz engine setup

Old 01-19-2005, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Question about this Alaniz engine setup

What do you guys think about this engine package and it's durability to handle daily driving with the occasional track event - I am looking at running a comptech S/C w- cooler - rc 650 injectors - AEM EMS, I spoke to Joe Alaniz and he can make the compression I am looking for which I think should be around 10.2 and am planning on running around 11 pounds of boost - any help would be appreciated!

"HIGH Boost Engine Package" starting at $6700.00 (6-8 week down time)

LABOR/PARTS INCLUDED

Big Bore up to 89mm. Brings displacement up to 2090cc.
Replace with high strength ductile iron sleeves.
ARIAS Forged pistons 9.5:1CR
Rings for high boost made in USA.
Rods (Cunningham rods made to our specifications)
New oil pump
Street Master head work (bowl work and chambers only)
Titanium retainers
New bronze valve guides (intake and exhaust)
Competition inner springs with locators
.5mm stainless steel oversize valves on intake, 1mm on exhaust
New Gaskets and seals (long block only)
Balance engine
Blueprint block to ALANIZ race specifications.
This package is intended for very high 18+lbs boost applications. A good piece of mind "bullet proof block". Expert engine tuning is a must.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried to reply to your post in the racing thread, but you closed it while I was typing.

Joe built a motor for me last year. Basically the competition setup for the F20c, but I went with lower compression. So it's an F20c bored/stroked to 2.2L with the rest of the stuff outlined for the competition setup. The rest of my setup is:
- Comptech supercharger with aftercooler
- 9 lbs tech2 pulley
- RC 650 injectors
- AEM EMS
- Toda header

Initially I had a single exhaust with the stock cat. During the dyno tune (done by Modern Garage) it was clear that the car was exhaust restricted so we added a custom 3" exhaust and a high flow cat.

Car is a daily driver and has been to two track events with more to come. I can't comment on long term durability as I've only had the car back for about 9 months. Overall I'm pleased with the setup and the way that Joe stands behind his work.

My car is a 2000 model with about 44,000 miles on it. Tranny just failed a few weeks ago with all the extra RWHP being the likely culprit. I replaced it with an 04 tranny from hardtopguy. He has a great deal on some 04 trannies and diffs if you want to upgrade yours ... unless of course you already have an 04/05!

It will take some time for the work. Mine took longer than expected ... which is what I expected.

Good luck!
Old 01-19-2005, 05:06 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

I don't know if I'd run Ti retainers for a true street engine, but on one that see' limited miles a year I would. Ti retainers do gall and have to be inspected/replaced periodically.

Otherwise, it sounds good.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:21 PM

Thanks guys for the replies, Currently I have to make a decision rather quickly as I dropped a valve on my #2 cylinder while I was cruising on the highway at 70 mph on cruise control with no previous over - rev and was flatly denied coverage when they saw the S/C even though my coverage states that it covers Superchargers and turbochargers - My attorney has the ball in his court now! I have 37000 miles on the ticker and is now in the extended coverage part of my warranty! So, I need to buy a new motor and hope for the best and hopefully get some money back!
Old 01-19-2005, 08:43 PM

Nick, sorry to hear about your engine....when did it happen? Will Fournier be doing the work?
Old 01-19-2005, 08:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nzaizar,Jan 19 2005, 09:21 PM
Thanks guys for the replies, Currently I have to make a decision rather quickly as I dropped a valve on my #2 cylinder while I was cruising on the highway at 70 mph on cruise control with no previous over - rev and was flatly denied coverage when they saw the S/C even though my coverage states that it covers Superchargers and turbochargers - My attorney has the ball in his court now! I have 37000 miles on the ticker and is now in the extended coverage part of my warranty! So, I need to buy a new motor and hope for the best and hopefully get some money back!
Check with hardtopguy on what he is charging for the 04 motors. There was a train accident that totaled a number of new S2000 that were in transit. That is were I got the new 04 tranny for my car for $1,500. Has to be a matching motor out there. I just bought the tranny & diff from him 3 weeks ago.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:02 PM

Good deal, word's spreading about Joe's work.

Speak of the devil, he has my motor and is completing the same engine build service. U should see the big hole in my engine bay, it's crying to be filled again soon.

I can't say enough about the care and attention to detail he's given to me thus far during the build process. I'm sure I'll be happy with the end results.

I'd recommend beefing up just about every element of the drivetrain and powertrain that can be done to handle the kind of power you'd be getting from this set up, still not guarantee for the tranny and/or axles.

If you're running the Comptech SC kit like myself, per a lot of good feedback I've received from people on the boards, you may want to look at changing to a turbo kit, the Novi-1000 blower is peaked at around 12-13psi. The risk of belt slip will also be a big limiting factor on boost. The Vortech compressor unit that comes in their S2000 kit has a higher boost limit, so it has more room for growth than the Novi-1000 in this kind of realm.

Old 01-19-2005, 09:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Slows2k,Jan 20 2005, 11:06 AM
I don't know if I'd run Ti retainers for a true street engine, but on one that see' limited miles a year I would. Ti retainers do gall and have to be inspected/replaced periodically.

Otherwise, it sounds good.

I remember they have to replaced every 15-20k mile or so..
Old 01-19-2005, 10:28 PM

he's very detailed in his work
Old 01-20-2005, 04:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jwkim,Jan 20 2005, 01:05 AM

I remember they have to replaced every 15-20k mile or so..
I've gone about a little over 20,000 on Ti retainers. Street driven. Its not driven everyday, mostly on the weekends and if i must use it occasionally on weekdays. Plus ive taken it on long trips...

Quick Reply: Question about this Alaniz engine setup