S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Q's: Valve adjustment at the dealer, idle relearn ..etc

Old 06-18-2013, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q's: Valve adjustment at the dealer, idle relearn ..etc

Hi,
Got my s2000 a few weeks ago, and im loving it so far
Im looking to do a full maintenance for the car just to have a peace of mind.
I've been reading for a while on the forum about valve adjustment and few other things, So I got a few questions,
1- is the "valve adjustment" part of honda's required maintenance? Will the dealer do it during the service? Or is it suggested only by the expert mechanics (not by honda)?

2- How can I reset the ecu and do the idle relearn? I noticed that sometimes when I rev the car up, when it comes back it will drop below 1000 rpm where the car seems like its going to stall. Maybe resetting the ecu and doing the idle relearn will fix the problem.

3- the guages are slightly blinking at idle, it goes away when revving the engine, I did read that it might be caused by a faulty alternator, but could this happen due to a weak battery? Any ideas?

Any other advices for me as a new s2k owner will be great.
I hope you guys understood what I mean with my questions (English is my second language).

Thanks
Old 06-18-2013, 09:51 PM

Ttt
Old 06-19-2013, 06:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Saad_Z
Hi,
Got my s2000 a few weeks ago, and im loving it so far
Im looking to do a full maintenance for the car just to have a peace of mind.
I've been reading for a while on the forum about valve adjustment and few other things, So I got a few questions,
1- is the "valve adjustment" part of honda's required maintenance? Will the dealer do it during the service? Or is it suggested only by the expert mechanics (not by honda)?

2- How can I reset the ecu and do the idle relearn? I noticed that sometimes when I rev the car up, when it comes back it will drop below 1000 rpm where the car seems like its going to stall. Maybe resetting the ecu and doing the idle relearn will fix the problem.

3- the guages are slightly blinking at idle, it goes away when revving the engine, I did read that it might be caused by a faulty alternator, but could this happen due to a weak battery? Any ideas?

Any other advices for me as a new s2k owner will be great.
I hope you guys understood what I mean with my questions (English is my second language).

Thanks

Some possible answers:
1- Honda doesn't necessarily do any specific 'service' when you take it in other than what is recommended based on the mileage. You have to specify what you want and take care to ask for a mechanic who is S2K knowledgeable. Double check the owners manual but I believe the first valve adjustment is called for at about 100k miles. Definitely suggest you get it done sooner as the S is known to be out of tolerance sooner rather than later. A valve adjustment at the dealership will cost around $330, if not more. Your best bet is to check with your local subforum and see if there is anyone there that can help with the valve adjustment. Most communities hold a tech day where they do that and alot of other maintenance on the S. At a minimum, read about the valve adjustment process and what is required before taking it to the dealer so you have knowledge of what needs to be done: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/245...ve-adjustment/

I would recommend you do most maintenace yourself if you can or find a local S owner who would be happy to help you. Most of the basic maintenance is very straightforward and actually pretty easy for even a novice (I was when I started 3 years ago). Check out this thread for information: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/548...d-maintenance/
At a minimum, I would recommend: oil and oil filter change; transmission fluid change; differential fluid change; brake fluid change; clutch fluid change; air filter change; cabin filter change; look at your suspension and braking parts to make sure they are functioning properly (i.e., springs look good, brake pads look good, rotors look good, etc.). These are all things you can do yourself.

2 - Use this link to an S2KI subforum on clearing the ECU and doing the idle relearn: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/index.php...&t=549159&st=0
The problem could be the IACV as well which could just need a good cleaning: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/492...ean-iac-valve/
In general, the S will idle between 800-1200rpm, depending on conditions. Unless it drops much below that or actually feels like it will stall, the previously mentioned items should fix any 'issue' you might have.

3 - See if the problem persists after you do the steps in part 2 above. If they still persist, get your battery checked and your alternator checked. Report back from there and we can help you troubleshoot any problems.

Does that help?
Old 06-22-2013, 09:47 AM

Reckon got it spot on. I'd like to add that although valve adjustments are recommended at about 100k miles. It also depends on were your climate, and driving style. At 70k my valves were making a lot of noise. I took it into one of my local s2k mechanics and he said for SoCal pretty much every s2k, even off the lot brand new should get a valve adjustment since we can run tighter tolerances. I didn't bother to check around to verify this, but it's something you could defiantly ask your mech about. Also a compression check wouldn't hurt.