S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Q's about bleeding/flushing brakes?

Old 07-25-2003, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is how I do mine on the S. (I also have a 91 lude nice car)

First I use ATE Racing Blue fluid, that way I can tell right away when the new fluid comes out.

Tools: Brake bleeding cup with 1/4"x18" bleed hose, and racket set.

Anyway as stated above, start with the front drivers side first. (this is also stated in the Honda Service manual) Place a little clean fluid into the cup. This way when you bleed the lines you can't suck air back into them. ALWAYS keep the master cylinder full. Bleed a little then top it off again.

Again starting at the drivers side front, attach the hose with the cup onto the bleeder. Next loosen the bleed valve a little, just enough for the fluid to flow fairly easy. Having a friend slowly pump the brakes until the fluid comes out clear. ALWAYS keep the master cylinder full. Bleed a little then top it off again. You will always use the most fluid when you start because you are filling the master cylinder, once that's full your only replacing the fluid that you bleed out of the lines. You may have to stop a bunch of times to fill the master up. Never let it go dry. Then once the fluid comes out clear move onto the next wheel. Front passenger, rear passenger, rear driver.

The reason I use the ATE is that its a denser fluid and it helps in the braking system. Plus while I bleed the brakes the new ATE in heavier and sinks to the bottom of the master cylinder that way when I bleed them the new fluid fills the lines right away, then I can just suck the very small amount of old fluid out of the master cylinder with a turkey baster.

Its a fairly easy process really. Have fun