S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

putting oil in the oil filter

Old 05-12-2005, 07:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slalom44,May 12 2005, 06:19 AM
You get a little oil that drips out, but it's easy to wipe up. You don't have to fill the filter all the way up. Even if you fill it half way, you're significantly reducing the time without oil pressure.

When you have oil pressure, you have "hydrodynamic lubrication". That means that there is essentially no metal-to-metal contact. A good analogy would be sliding on a slip-and-slide filled with water. You don't actually touch the slide, just the water.

Without oil pressure, you are experiencing "boundary lubrication" and some "mixed film lubrication". Here, you're getting some metal-to-metal contact, and you're depending heavily on the anti-wear additives in your oil to protect the metal surfaces. Contaminants (suspended particles) in your oil could act as grit between the two metal surfaces, causing some abrasion as well.

When you changed your oil and filter without prefilling it, you will notice that it takes up to about 2 seconds to get oil pressure. Since our car's oil pressure sender is located after the filter, this is an accurate measurement of when your engine actually gets the pressurized oil. If you prefill your filter, you will notice that the time it takes to get pressure is significantly reduced like jzz30 says.

Let's say for example that prefilling your filter reduces this no-pressure condition by 1/2 second. When you first start a cold engine, idle is somewhere around 1600 RPM. So your engine rotates over 26 times each second without oil pressure. If you cut off 1/2 second, you are preventing your engine from running without pressure for around 13 revolutions.

IMO, you're not doing damage to your engine by not prefilling it, but you are putting a little more wear on your bearings, rings and cylinders. If you're really anal about maintaining your car (like I am) you'd fill your filter at least half way.
Each to his own...

In the Navy we call this "Nuking it".......

I agree with Xviper..."I'm not that anal"
Old 05-12-2005, 09:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Xviper...Just Warm up your engine before you change the oil...so you still have residual oil or film on the critical engine parts to prevent metal to metal contact.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:57 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It all depends on personal preference.

The only vehicles I've ever seen this done on are diesel cars where oil pressure HAS to be maintained.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:53 AM

So far, I've not personally changed the oil in my S2000. The dealer gave me a certificate for three free changes when I bought the car. I recently had the third one done.

My question is, for those who have personally changed the oil in their S2000, "Did you get any knocking sounds in the engine when it was first restarted after the change?"

My reason for asking is, I've owned one car, a '94 T-Bird that would rattle a couple of main and/or rod bearings when it was first started after an oil change. It's the only car I've owned that would do this. I always figured it wasn't developing oil pressure until after the filter filled up. I'd get a couple of good knocks and everything would quiet down right as the oil pressure light went off. It made me "very" nervous at first but I drove the car for almost 7 years and 96k miles and had absolutely no engine problems that I know of.

Just wondering!
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:55 AM

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm able to fill my oil filter completely and put it on without spilling a drop. But I have an oil filter relocation kit that puts the filter vertical.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Intrepid175,May 12 2005, 10:53 AM
So far, I've not personally changed the oil in my S2000. The dealer gave me a certificate for three free changes when I bought the car. I recently had the third one done.

My question is, for those who have personally changed the oil in their S2000, "Did you get any knocking sounds in the engine when it was first restarted after the change?"

My reason for asking is, I've owned one car, a '94 T-Bird that would rattle a couple of main and/or rod bearings when it was first started after an oil change. It's the only car I've owned that would do this. I always figured it wasn't developing oil pressure until after the filter filled up. I'd get a couple of good knocks and everything would quiet down right as the oil pressure light went off. It made me "very" nervous at first but I drove the car for almost 7 years and 96k miles and had absolutely no engine problems that I know of.

Just wondering!
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
i always change my own oil and never experienced this "knock" you speak of..

of course with the exhaust i cant hear much of anything.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:22 AM
Banned

I've had the same issues on my old Civic as well to where you get a rod knock, but it goes away once the oil pressure has returned.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:06 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

So far, no knock on the S2000, even with an empty oil filter. I've experienced this on our old Caravan Turbo. It would rattle for about 2 to 3 seconds on the first start after an oil and filter change. Never filled those filters, either.
BTW, that Caravan was bought by us new and had 200,000 KMs on it when we sold it. It still ran perfectly at the time and is still on the roads today with its new owner. I guess that engine could handle a couple seconds of oil starvation 2 or 3 times a year.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Intrepid175,May 12 2005, 10:53 AM
My reason for asking is, I've owned one car, a '94 T-Bird that would rattle a couple of main and/or rod bearings when it was first started after an oil change. It's the only car I've owned that would do this. Just wondering!
94 Tbird = hydraulic lifters. What you were probably experiencing was the lifters themselves being pressurized so for a few moments after an oil change your valves would tap. It was nice never having to adjust valves on my parents Tbird, but damn the noise got annoying.

As for filling the oil filter... an extra 10 seconds to fill the filter never hurt anybody. Nothing wrong with a little psychological peace of mind! I do it... but then again I'm picky.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:04 PM

i've never filled my oil filter on any cars and never had a problem as xviper said its not necessary

Quick Reply: putting oil in the oil filter