S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Putting new transmission in after clutch job

Old 03-12-2012, 03:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting new transmission in after clutch job

1. Those 2 transmission nipples came off w/ the tranny and I am trying to put it back in this way, Is this right? Or should the nipple's be on the block?

2. The last few inches are killing me, I can seem to push it in all the way. Seperating it at this stage was hard too.

Any Tips?

As always TIA,
Hopefully the last thread I will post on this

Edit - It's early in the AM and DST idk why I put NEW transmission in the title, it's the same transmission
Old 03-12-2012, 04:05 AM

be sure there's nothing like wires between them and put long bolts in and crank it together
Old 03-12-2012, 04:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It should slide in until there is about 1/4" to 1/2" left. From there use slow and even turns of the bolts to get the last bit in evenly. You don't want to crank one bolt and crack the tranny.

DON'T FORGET THE CLUTCH FORK! It can only fit when they are separated. I had to pull off the tranny to get it in

Wedge it in place using a piece of cardboard.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:31 AM

Is it ok to use the bolt trick when the inputshaft is not in, as in i can spin the tailshaft but the clutch does not spin?
Old 03-12-2012, 05:58 AM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

no way.

Trans has to be in farther than that. sound like you are not straight or disc is not aligned.

dowels can be in block or trans doesnt matter.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:32 AM

Billman,

I put the clutch alignment tool, made sure that the clutch was even to the PP (along the sides) and torqued it in a criss cross fashion.

The TO is decently loose however.

This should be the propper way to align it right?
Old 03-12-2012, 08:59 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the same issue even though the tool said it was aligned... I ended up loosing the PP a bit and moving the disc around until it was aligned by eye, then tightened it all back up... The transmission slid in first try after that..

I also heard you can use the clutch fork to pull open the PP a bit as you are installing the transmission to help align it too... but if you mess it up you are back to square one...
Old 03-12-2012, 11:20 AM

Thanks, will try to re-align
Old 03-12-2012, 12:06 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

You have the trans in gear ... right?
IIRC they say to put it in 3rd before re-installing.
So you can rotate the inputshaft by rotating the output shaft to line-up the splines.
The splines do not line up themselves, even though the shaft is in line with the disk, done by the tool.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:46 PM

you definitely just need to make sure the disc is aligned better i think also.
even with the alignment tool theres still some play, and if its not perfectly straght, then its goin to be hard to get that last little bit together.
I wouldnt pull it in with bolts until those dowels are atleast touching, you can break a bellhousing!
Just double check the disc if perfectly straight. look from the side and look at the disc between flywheel and pressure plate and you can see the disc and the flywheel and make sure it looks to be perfectly centered all the way around, its hard to explain, but it works perfectly. Just done force it in, when everything is straight, it goes in smoothly . I always leave the dowels in the block, but thats mostly because most cars have a metal plate between motor and trans, and the dowels being there keep the plate straight.

Quick Reply: Putting new transmission in after clutch job