S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Putting in new battery (Hawker) without losing radio settings (code) or ECU reset.

Old 04-09-2004, 08:10 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

(Site may be having problems with the photo album, so you might not see the pics at this time. Try clicking on the red rectangle.)
For those of you who use a "smart charger", this is for you. If not, it's no big deal to dial in the radio code after and to have your ECU reset.
I have an "IntelliCharger". This charger comes with a quick connect that you can use either the alligator clips or the little circular ends that can be permanently installed on the battery. I got a cigarette lighter plug with the coiled wire.

I used male/female connectors to splice the cig plug onto the quick disconnect that had the circular ends (after having cut the ends off). Make sure you keep the polarity correct. The tip of the cig plug is POSITIVE (red wire).

Old 04-09-2004, 08:10 PM

Now, UNLESS you have done the "Modifry" accessory plug/trunk release power wire swap, you will need to turn OFF all power drawing appliances like the stereo, radar detector, etc. Then plug the cig plug into the accessory socket and turn ON the smart charger. Turn the ignition key to the ACC position. This is the first position that would normally run your radio but not supply power to the car's ignition.

[side note: I also use this method to maintain the battery when I don't use the car during times when I'm on vacation. It might be of interest that Honda (motorcycle division) states in their owners manuals that anytime a fuel injected motorcycle is left unused for more than 2 weeks, that some sort of smart charger be used. I can only surmize that the ECU does not like voltages that dwindle to below a certain threshold. It's better to just disconnect battery output than it is to subject an ECU to voltage that diminishes to near zero.]

Now your radio and ECU will get a continuous power supply as you go and swap out the batteries. Here is the Hawker battery installed:

FYI ......................... Dimensions of old vs Hawker batteries:
9-1/4"L x 5"W x 8"H ..................... OEM battery.
7-1/4"L x 3-1/8"W x 6-3/4"H ........ Hawker battery.
NOTE: The height measurement does NOT include the terminals.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:23 PM
S2X
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 04-11-2004, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Hawker battery is much smaller than the OEM. I assume that with the additional load of a stereo amp, it will not last as long as the OEM battery. Are there advantages of the Hawker over the OEM ?
Old 04-11-2004, 07:59 PM

I got it as an experiment to see if it would stand up to the rigors of Canadian seasons. Also, it is a completely sealed battery that will never leak or need water to be added. Not that I care, but it is considerably lighter.
You are correct, if you have loads of accessories that have a high draw, the Hawker is NOT the battery you want to get. I'm still taking a bit of a chance next winter when we hit "brass monkey" temps.
I only have a CD changer, a radar detector, supercharger water pump and high output fuel pump as my only other continuous power draw.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

xviper - where did you get the terminals? My Hawker just came with some bolts. Thanks
Old 04-12-2004, 01:03 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chiung
xviper - where did you get the terminals?
Old 06-23-2004, 01:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Instead of mounting it standing up, are there any issues with mounting the Hawker Battery 'face down?' I've run an Odyssey for 2 trouble free years in my S and I just installed a Hawker in a friends EVO the 'regular' way (terminals up). Looks like it'd be more stable if it was mounted flat with the terminals facing forward, though. Would the battery eventually leak or have any discharge/charge probs?
Old 06-23-2004, 04:27 PM

I may stand corrected but I do not believe the Hawker battery is a true "gel cell" type and this would be the only type that I would risk mounting in a position other than standing up. It could possibly leak in time.
Also, if you put the battery on its side in our car, there is a possibility that it could shift and you could short it out when both terminals touch metal.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:09 PM

A little more info:
Just had a closer inspection of the Hawker battery. It does say that it is "sealed" and "NON-spillable". However, there does exist a seam around a sort of cover on the top of this battery. When new, I don't see any problem with it not being upright but when it gets old and has been vibrating in the engine bay for a number years, I wouldn't trust that seal to hold if it were on its side.

Quick Reply: Putting in new battery (Hawker) without losing radio settings (code) or ECU reset.