S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Put A test pipe on my Car and I didnt Get a CEL

Old 12-01-2005, 01:01 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Put A test pipe on my Car and I didnt Get a CEL

Hi guys.
Some Electronics Gurus chime here.
I bought a Test pipe and a O2 simulator Gadget, and before i Installed the Test pipe I made Two bets with Two friends of mine that if i install the Test pipe and Put the O2 Sensor back without any modifications by the O2 gadget there was going to Be a Check engine light soon after i start the car.
They Both said That the CEL wont come on.
So we took a bet on Pizzas.
Who looses will pay them,
So we install the Megan test pipe and no CEL Light.
I got the Impression on S2ki that if you didnt Put Spark Plug foulers or a Electrical O2 simulator that the CEL would come on For sure.
And No CEL by Now-20 miles driven.
Could somebody explain why and should i Install the O2 simulator.
Its the ECG Electronics simulator which taps to the TP sensor,Rpm sensor and Ground and positive also and of course gives the A O2 Signal.
Will the Car run Better not installing the O2 simulator or should i leave it alone.
Will the A/F ratio change now when there is no CAT?
Thanks.
Stefce.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:26 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I've never seen this Megan test pipe. Does it have an extension pipe that the O2 sensor plugs into that takes the sensor further away from the flow of exhaust?

Never mind. I just looked it up in the Megan website. It does appear to have a small extension, but I don't think this will be enough. I think that, in time, your CEL will come on. Then you should consider using the non-fouler or the sim.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will take about a tank of gass before you get your cel
Old 12-01-2005, 02:54 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

The Catalyst monitor is a 2 trip DTC. You need 2 trips where the Monitor runs before getting the DTC.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

megan racing testpipe for sure will throw a cell. but if you put the o2 sim in, it will not throw a light. because the o2 sim makes the o2 sensor sit higher which allow less air to get to the o2 sensor. thats what i heard. not sure if its true.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:51 PM
ED7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slows2k,Dec 1 2005, 03:54 PM
The Catalyst monitor is a 2 trip DTC. You need 2 trips where the Monitor runs before getting the DTC.
True true to this.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:38 PM

well i would have to buy the pizzas tomorow and still no CEL.
Is it possible not to get the CEL at all?
ANd will the Secundary O2 sensor change the A/F ratio in future?
THe O2 simulator i have is as i said from ECG electronics which is for honda and acura cars and it says Ziptech O2sim Evolution 2 and on the Install manual i have said that taps in AS i said to th TP wire on the Ecu.the Rpm wire which i cant find on the drawings for the ECU wire connections and i have to cut the signal wire from the secondary O2 sensor to give the signal from the Gadget.
Also + and -.
Should i wait and not buy the pizzas yet.?
thanks,Guys,
Stefce

Also i want to point out that i wasnt expecting very much from the Megan pipe but its Very well made and its resonated which i didnt expect also.
As you can see on pictures i tought that there was a Bigger pipe welded on the Smaller pipe but it has a resonator on the Bigger pipe which is Great.
A True Resonated Test pipe and not just a staight pipe,like more expensive Japanese pipes.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:54 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Is it possible not to get the CEL at all?
Anything is "possible". But I'm tending to think this is unlikely. Some guys have had to go a few hundred miles before the CEL shows up.
Buy the Pizza. You can always get it back later.
ANd will the Secundary O2 sensor change the A/F ratio in future?
No. It's the Primary one that does that. The secondary mainly monitors cat function.

If you use the non-fouler method, you won't have to mess with having to find and splice into wires.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:08 PM

They were so sure that i wouldnt get a CEL because my Friend has Two Integras Type R which are '97 and '98 and my other friend has a NSX and a Civic and they All have test pipes on thier cars and have no CEL ights but i think that those are before 2000 cars and the newer cars are more Enviroment Thinking than the older ones,electronicly thinking.
I still have to see if there will be any sugnifican change in Cars Performance because its raining here two days now and you know that you cant push the car a lot on wet roads.But my Butt dyno says that the cat pipe isnt Much power?Not much but better in Vtec i think.But will be better as i soon will be going Supersprint Cat-backs and Comptech SC.
Stefce
Old 12-02-2005, 07:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Its hard to feel the difference when putting the testpipe on...its no more then 10hp that you are gaining and that really isn't a big difference. What you can feel is if you put your cat back on feel the reduction, then on the same day swap the testpipe back in. You'll probably notice it, but you really have to be trying to feel the difference.

Anyway, most S2k's will get the CEL between 75 and 200miles after they install a testpipe.

really I don't know why your friends cars didn't get a CEL, I don't think it has to do with the "thinking"...I really don't know, just go drive hard and make the CEL come on, it should.

Quick Reply: Put A test pipe on my Car and I didnt Get a CEL