S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Put Cat back on after 7 years strong odor in car?

Old 05-27-2015, 06:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Put Cat back on after 7 years strong odor in car?

I swapped my test pipe out for my original catalytic converter (which has ~40k miles on it). I have an HKS catback exhaust and I replaced the gasket with one made by Berk. The first day of driving I smelled a strong odor after getting out of my car. It is not the same as the order that would come from my test pipe. The second day of driving (~30 mins) I could smell it from inside the car. When I had the test pipe on I would only smell it after parking in my garage or here and there if I had my top down.

Just wondering if this is normal? I don't seem to have any noticeable loss in performance and haven't thrown any code. The smell is kind of like metal parts baking.. not quite sure how to describe it.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AstroPhsx
I swapped my test pipe out for my original catalytic converter (which has ~40k miles on it). I have an HKS catback exhaust and I replaced the gasket with one made by Berk. The first day of driving I smelled a strong odor after getting out of my car. It is not the same as the order that would come from my test pipe. The second day of driving (~30 mins) I could smell it from inside the car. When I had the test pipe on I would only smell it after parking in my garage or here and there if I had my top down.

Just wondering if this is normal? I don't seem to have any noticeable loss in performance and haven't thrown any code. The smell is kind of like metal parts baking.. not quite sure how to describe it.

Some exhaust parts after not being used for a while can have a smell just from non-utilization over the years. Id say give it a couple more days and see if it goes away.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dmrockholt43
Originally Posted by AstroPhsx' timestamp='1432737751' post='23626384

Some exhaust parts after not being used for a while can have a smell just from non-utilization over the years. Id say give it a couple more days and see if it goes away.
Thanks
Old 05-27-2015, 01:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely give it a couple more days. Many exhaust components come with a coating to prevent corrosion that takes a few hundred miles to burn off.