S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Pushing shifter into gear - 'seems' harder

Old 09-21-2009, 04:56 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts
Thumbs up Pushing shifter into gear - 'seems' harder

I've noticed a gradual increase in effort in my S and shifting into gears. Bled the clutch line recently, so fluid is good and full, don't think its a clutch issue but something located around the actual shifter.

When shifting into any gear, the shifter does not simply slide in, but requires a push more than I think necessary. Basically, pushing the shifter with a finger causes my finger tip to go all white before the shifter moves, if that gives an indication of effort. I have a Voodoo and 55k mi, but this seems different than anything I've seen before - gone is the rifle-bolt smoothness I used to enjoy.

Sitting with the clutch depressed and the car idling, shifting into a gear requires this increased effort, like I'm pushing through something, then it pops right into gear. Going back and fourth between 1-2, 3-4, or 5-6, the effort seems to decrease after I've shifted between gears once or twice.

The only thing out of the norm that I've done is rescrew the shift knob back on, and hand torque it tight. Can tightening the shift knob twist the shift rod in a bad way? Is this related to the TSB for 04 S2000s that had issues with popping out of gears? Could all the syncros be bad at 55k with a Voodoo knob? Does the shift lever just need fresh lubrication?
Old 09-21-2009, 07:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

change your tranny fluid.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With Honda MTF. Makes a big difference over other gearbox oils.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:18 AM

I did that - I have fresh Honda MTF in the trans. and fresh DOT3 in the clutch reservoir, but the resistance is still there.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:18 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

How does it get into gear without the engine running?
A bit hard it first and then as smooth as butter into the rest?
If so: clutch master & slave.
Maybe you need to re-bleed the slave off the trans with the bleeder pointing upwards.
Any fluid leaking at/around the master?
Underneath the carpet?

If not ^
Its relatively easy to remove the shifter and have a look.

Is the Voodoo heavy?
It could be "worn" synchro's due to more-than-OEM shift force.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:14 AM

Similar effort with the car off, so I think it may be a lubrication issue. Yes, it is a bit hard at first, then it slides right into gear. It almost feels like I'm squeezing the shifter through a plastic clip - what keeps the shifter from coming out of gear? Maybe that component needs inspection? Could the plstic clip that fits on the bottom of the shifter be worn?

Nothing is leaking from under the car. When I bled the clutch reservoir I did the syphon, pump, refill method, not a bottom bleed. I never got air into the system as far as I can tell...

The Voodoo isn't too heavy, its spun aluminum on par with stock but countersunk. I can only assume the short shifts wear the syncros, but 55k seems quick to me.

I'm going to start by removing the shifter and applying fresh grease I think. If that doesn't help, I'll have to dig deeper.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could someone explain why short shifters would wear synchros at a faster rate? If you rev match and don't crunch/grind through the gears, how would short shifters/countersunk knobs be any different than oem?
Old 09-22-2009, 09:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Sep 22 2009, 02:14 PM
Similar effort with the car off, so I think it may be a lubrication issue. Yes, it is a bit hard at first, then it slides right into gear. It almost feels like I'm squeezing the shifter through a plastic clip - what keeps the shifter from coming out of gear? Maybe that component needs inspection? Could the plstic clip that fits on the bottom of the shifter be worn?

Nothing is leaking from under the car. When I bled the clutch reservoir I did the syphon, pump, refill method, not a bottom bleed. I never got air into the system as far as I can tell...

The Voodoo isn't too heavy, its spun aluminum on par with stock but countersunk. I can only assume the short shifts wear the syncros, but 55k seems quick to me.

I'm going to start by removing the shifter and applying fresh grease I think. If that doesn't help, I'll have to dig deeper.
Saki, why not try polishing the cylinder rod in the clutch slave cylinder and put some grease on it? It couldn't hurt to check it. Everything else you mentioned would make sense to do too. What could it hurt? I doubt it would be from the voodoo though. Mine seemed fine the last time I drove my car...
Old 09-22-2009, 10:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^Good idea regarding the clutch slave cylinder. Also I highly recommend using Honda High Temp Urea grease for the shifter. I tried a generic grease, worked OK. I wiped out the generic and replaced it with the urea; silky smooth now.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by GyozA,Sep 23 2009, 01:03 AM
Saki, why not try polishing the cylinder rod in the clutch slave cylinder and put some grease on it? It couldn't hurt to check it. Everything else you mentioned would make sense to do too. What could it hurt? I doubt it would be from the voodoo though. Mine seemed fine the last time I drove my car...
It really feels like its the actual shifter mechanism, not anything related to the hydraulics. I'll start with grease and start working my way down.

Quick Reply: Pushing shifter into gear - 'seems' harder