S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Purolator oil filters?

Old 11-15-2011, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

been using it for years on all my cars. Best for the buck and its available pretty much everywhere.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:50 PM

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/old_filters.shtml

Not sure how old this is, but an S2000 this mentioned...

US OEM Honda Filter:
This filter looks identical to the Toyo Roki-made JDM filter at first glance- externally the same construction, the only indicator is the "FILTECH" stamped on the outside (a large US manufacturer of filters under various brand names). Internally it's *almost* identical to the JDM filter- steel end caps, steel bypass valve. What makes it stand out as different is the radically different filter media. The material on the Japanese filter looked like the STP or Bosch units. The US media looks much, much worse than the Fram. The media is noticeably "fuzzy" with small fibers protruding out from every angle. While the filter itself is constructed very well (like the Japanese one), the furry nature of the media makes me question how long it lasts and what it will release into the oil system. It also has the least surface area of all the Honda filters (though only a few inches less than the Canadian one).

Canada OEM Honda Filter:

Externally, this filter looks like the other 2 Honda filters (except for the "Made in Canada" stamped on the end). All 3 Honda filters have unique part numbers (see the summary tables). This filter, though, when opened, is identical in construction to a Fram. Same "fuzzy" media, dent from string in media, glued cardboard end caps, bypass valve... the build quality looks fine but again, those cardboard pieces don't leave me with a very warm feeling. With increased surface area and increased inlet area, though, this filter should flow more than either of the FRAM units.

Dissasembly of a used filter shows that some of the fibers do part from the filter. While the detail can't be seen in the photo above, there were fibers that were "hung up" in the perforated center portion. The material did not look quite as "fuzzy" as it did new, which I presume is from some fibers having left the filter. This filter had 1000 hard miles over the course of one month on it. The cardboard was perfectly intact, though I suspect this would deteriorate over time.
JDM Honda Filter:
As is the case with Hondas in North America, Japan has at least two suppliers of filters: Toyo Roki and Tennex. The Toyo Roki filter is the new filter shown above (and described below). This filter was obtained as a "replacement" part. The used filter that is shown dissasembled (over the oil pan) is made by Tennex. This filter is what came on my new S2000; I would assume that it is the filter used on new Hondas made in Japan. This filter is almost identical to the Vic filter tested below, except for the smaller size and 51 pleats (instead of 54). Though I have not dissasembled the Tennex JDM filter and measured it, I would expect to see only slightly less surface area due to the smaller size of the Toyo Roki (see below).

Anyone familiar with Hondas knows that the Japanese keep the best for themselves. This aparently applies to oil filters as well. The Toyo Roki uses steel end caps, a steel bypass valve (with very stiff spring), and a media that looks similar in thickness and quality to the STP and Bosch filters. This unit uses the same end caps and bypass valve that the US-made Honda filter uses. Something interesting, though, that's unique to the Toyo Roki filter is the unequal-length pleats (see above). I'm not sure why they are like this, but none of the other filters (including the JDM Tennex, Vic, and HAMP) that were tested had this.

It should be noted that these filters are NOT available in the North America at all- they are only available in Japan, the orient, and more than likely the UK and Australia. The only way to get one from Honda in the US is to purchase a new Honda made in Japan- this is the filter that they put on the car in their factories (the Tennex). Here, you will likely get either the US-made or Canadian made filters. In the US, if you order the JDM part number, you will be subbed a US or Canadian filter instead. So far there is no one known to be importing these filters, you will have to find one and have it shipped yourself. The filter tested here was purchased over-the-counter in Hong Kong (the price listed has been converted from HK$).
Not crazy about using OEM filters now unless this is very old
Old 11-15-2011, 01:06 PM

Received 245 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by eremoy
I know alot of you guys are loyal to using Honda oil filters but do any of you use Purulator PureOne filters? I ask this because they seem to have a pretty solid reputation to being a good product and they are on sale on Amazon for $5.76 shipped! Down from $15.56.

Here's the link I found:

Amazon Purolator PureOne
Purulator PureOne filters are very good filters, that said I use Baldwin filters on my '06. It's a over size commercial filter that is made to high standards.
http://s949.photobucket.com/albums/a...Oil%20Filters/

ROD
Old 11-15-2011, 01:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think I read about the Baldwin filters before, maybe on BITOG website. Would that over-sized filter affect oil pressure? The Acura RSX uses a pretty small filter, and Honda/Acura eventually switched to those filters for the B18C engines (Integra GSR, ITR) as well--the original filters on the B18C were larger. Not sure but I read that the reason for the smallish filter was to maintain oil pressure constant.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:43 PM

From BITOG site, I remember reading a post that compared a number of filters, the best in filtration properties came down to: #1 Amsoil, #2 PureOne, #3 Mobile1 and so forth. Amsoil is hard to find for me, since there are no distributors nearby my area, so PureOne has always been my go-to filter. The unit itself is built pretty nicely, the paint on the outside has a rough texture that helps with the grip, the filter itself feels heavier and sturdier than most other ones on the shelf (definitely heavier than a fram filter) and i've read it has a high-temp silicone back-flow gate (or whatever its called) compared to others which are plain ol' rubber. its also nice that its a gold-ish yellow color. It stands out bright in the engine compartment so its easy to find.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:05 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

as far as I can see the OEM filter is designed with metal to metal contact, which is why it requires to be torqued to 15-17 ft/lbs. Thats a good thing because when the engine is spinning at 8k-9k rpm there is alot of pressure and an aftermarket oil filter could easily spin right out!
Old 11-15-2011, 04:42 PM

Received 245 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000maniac
as far as I can see the OEM filter is designed with metal to metal contact, which is why it requires to be torqued to 15-17 ft/lbs. Thats a good thing because when the engine is spinning at 8k-9k rpm there is alot of pressure and an aftermarket oil filter could easily spin right out!
I have never seen a oil filter that goes to "metal to metal contact". Every one that I've seen has a rubber seal and I have changed a few oil filters in the 2 million miles that I've driven.

ROD
Old 11-16-2011, 03:38 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Adionik
http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/old_filters.shtml

Not sure how old this is, but an S2000 this mentioned...

US OEM Honda Filter:
This filter looks identical to the Toyo Roki-made JDM filter at first glance- externally the same construction, the only indicator is the "FILTECH" stamped on the outside (a large US manufacturer of filters under various brand names). Internally it's *almost* identical to the JDM filter- steel end caps, steel bypass valve. What makes it stand out as different is the radically different filter media. The material on the Japanese filter looked like the STP or Bosch units. The US media looks much, much worse than the Fram. The media is noticeably "fuzzy" with small fibers protruding out from every angle. While the filter itself is constructed very well (like the Japanese one), the furry nature of the media makes me question how long it lasts and what it will release into the oil system. It also has the least surface area of all the Honda filters (though only a few inches less than the Canadian one).

Canada OEM Honda Filter:

Externally, this filter looks like the other 2 Honda filters (except for the "Made in Canada" stamped on the end). All 3 Honda filters have unique part numbers (see the summary tables). This filter, though, when opened, is identical in construction to a Fram. Same "fuzzy" media, dent from string in media, glued cardboard end caps, bypass valve... the build quality looks fine but again, those cardboard pieces don't leave me with a very warm feeling. With increased surface area and increased inlet area, though, this filter should flow more than either of the FRAM units.

Dissasembly of a used filter shows that some of the fibers do part from the filter. While the detail can't be seen in the photo above, there were fibers that were "hung up" in the perforated center portion. The material did not look quite as "fuzzy" as it did new, which I presume is from some fibers having left the filter. This filter had 1000 hard miles over the course of one month on it. The cardboard was perfectly intact, though I suspect this would deteriorate over time.
JDM Honda Filter:
As is the case with Hondas in North America, Japan has at least two suppliers of filters: Toyo Roki and Tennex. The Toyo Roki filter is the new filter shown above (and described below). This filter was obtained as a "replacement" part. The used filter that is shown dissasembled (over the oil pan) is made by Tennex. This filter is what came on my new S2000; I would assume that it is the filter used on new Hondas made in Japan. This filter is almost identical to the Vic filter tested below, except for the smaller size and 51 pleats (instead of 54). Though I have not dissasembled the Tennex JDM filter and measured it, I would expect to see only slightly less surface area due to the smaller size of the Toyo Roki (see below).

Anyone familiar with Hondas knows that the Japanese keep the best for themselves. This aparently applies to oil filters as well. The Toyo Roki uses steel end caps, a steel bypass valve (with very stiff spring), and a media that looks similar in thickness and quality to the STP and Bosch filters. This unit uses the same end caps and bypass valve that the US-made Honda filter uses. Something interesting, though, that's unique to the Toyo Roki filter is the unequal-length pleats (see above). I'm not sure why they are like this, but none of the other filters (including the JDM Tennex, Vic, and HAMP) that were tested had this.

It should be noted that these filters are NOT available in the North America at all- they are only available in Japan, the orient, and more than likely the UK and Australia. The only way to get one from Honda in the US is to purchase a new Honda made in Japan- this is the filter that they put on the car in their factories (the Tennex). Here, you will likely get either the US-made or Canadian made filters. In the US, if you order the JDM part number, you will be subbed a US or Canadian filter instead. So far there is no one known to be importing these filters, you will have to find one and have it shipped yourself. The filter tested here was purchased over-the-counter in Hong Kong (the price listed has been converted from HK$).
Not crazy about using OEM filters now unless this is very old
Please note that the Canada and USA Honda filters mentioned are NOT the current recommended filters for the S2000; the correct p/n is 15400-PCX-004 in both Canada and the US. If you want more info on it someone actually cut this filter up to examine it in an older thread here on S2ki.