S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

pulling engine out??

Old 05-13-2003, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pulling engine out??

hello,
i have a couple of question. my car recently got attacked by a hail storm not a normal one there was a tornado but we only caught the tail of it. none the less i received about 4-5 grand worth of damage all on the exterior apperance at least that is what i know so far. instead of keeping it the same color i wanted to change it but only if i could keep it offical/ factory apperance. so here are my questions

how long/ how much should it take to pull the engine out and put it back of course correctly?

2nd what should i get done to the engine while it's out.. no cams and stuff of that nature the car only has 2000 miles on it.

thank you
marcus
Old 05-14-2003, 07:59 AM

If you want to paint it (correctly), it will involve far more than taking the engine out. The car will basically need to be disassembled.

You will need to remove the engine, electrical, intake and exhaust systems just to get the engine bay done correctly.

If you don't want the step panels to show different colored painting, you will need to remove the interior (steering wheel, dash, plastic panels and carpeting, etc).

If you want the trunk to hide the paintjob, you will need to remove the spare tire, fuel tank, probably the plastic that covers the spare tire compartment (the convertable top part), although I can't remember if that gets painted in the stock job.

If you want the underside to hide the paintjob, you will need to remove the waterproofing (this by itself would be a helluva job) and possibly the tranny and drivetrain components, and then repaint it.

All of this effort to hide the stock paint job would be negated by a single paint chip showing the original color underneath unless you were to strip all of the existing paint (something I would not recommend).

So the question is back up to you, is it worth it for this?
Old 05-14-2003, 10:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I doubt it can be done to original specs for that little money, especially since there are dents that need to be repaired. Also, if you don't want to do cams and such, what are you asking about?
Old 05-14-2003, 10:28 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gernby
[B]I doubt it can be done to original specs for that little money, especially since there are dents that need to be repaired.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Out of curiosity, what color are you considering? It seems like you would need to stick with some sort of blue, or the blue interior will look funny. If you just change the shade of blue, why not just paint the visible exterior?