S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Pulled car out of winter storage, Flashing CEL

Old 04-18-2009, 05:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pulled car out of winter storage, Flashing CEL

My car (MY00 w/ 19K) has been in my garage since early November. Before putting it into storage, I had no problems with it - - - Zero.

Normally, over the course of the winter, I'll start the car and drive around for 15 minutes every few weeks. However, this winter, I was unable to follow the same routine. The car has not been started since November.

Since it was sitting so long, I decided to pull the fuel pump fuse and turn the car over for about 15 or 20 seconds to get some oil circulated. I then put the fuel pump fuse back in and started the car. It turned over immediately but ran very, very rough and about 20 seconds later, a flashing CEL came on. I shut it down. I then tried to re-start. Immediately, the flashing CEL came on.

I know I need to pull the code but was hoping someone might have a little insight into my problem.

As soon as I get the code, I'll post it up.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you put fuel stabilizer in it prior to storage?
Old 04-18-2009, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by daktruckie99,Apr 18 2009, 08:45 AM
Did you put fuel stabilizer in it prior to storage?
No, just topped the tank to the top. Same as every other year.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:05 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any chance rodents got into the engine bay and chewed on wires?
Old 04-18-2009, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RUGBY,Apr 18 2009, 05:48 AM
No, just topped the tank to the top. Same as every other year.
fuel just sitting in your tank not being used doesn't last long it drops its octane level every so often you prob have a full tank of bad fuel
Old 04-19-2009, 01:25 AM

Thanks for you input. Simple as bad gas??? I hope so.

However, I went out and purchased an OBDii reader and the following codes (DTC) were read;

P0302 - Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
P0304 - Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
P0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P1399-Pending -

Additionally, the following Inspection/Maintenance Monitors were shown;
0-Incomplete
8-Ready

Misfire Monitor
Fuel System Monitor
Comprehensive Components Monitor
Catalyst Monitor
Evaporative System Monitor
Secondary Air System Monitor
Oxygen Sensor Monitor
Oxygen Sensor Heater Monitor

Any suggestions on next steps? Run it with the gas? Have a mechanic confirm no mechanical issue? Sell the car?

Again, thanks for the help.

Michael
Old 04-19-2009, 04:38 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would clear the dtc and restart and let it warm up to full temp prior to driving it . Once started for a few minutes i would give it a couple of 3k revs . It could simply be the engine got slightly flooded .
Old 04-19-2009, 05:42 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

I am betting it had something to do with when you pulled the fuel pump fuse and turned it over. I understand why you did that I just don't think it was necessary, I think it was overkill.

I also don't think that starting it every few weeks and driving it was a good practice either. A couple of weeks is just enough time to let the oil settle to the extent that it is going to settle by allowing it to sit for the entire winter. So by starting it every few weeks you are actually dry starting it over and over throughout the winter, in an effort to avoid dry starting it once come driving season.

IMO the best storage practice is allowing the car to sit all winter without starting it, and adding some octane booster or a gallon of race gas before the 1st start. I don't really like the way any of my stuff runs with stabilizers, so I don't use them.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:54 AM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

You are definitely doing no harm by starting the car and driving it. It's a car that's what you do with cars.

Whatever you do, DO NOT clear the check engine light. You'll lose the fuel trim data, and there will be no way to diagnose the car.

The info people post on this board is pure speculation.

The only way to properly determine the cause is to know which way the fuel trim is leaning. There will be a snap shot of this data saved with the codes. So don't clear it. Stored codes do not have any affect on the engine running condition.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:02 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250,Apr 19 2009, 08:54 AM
You are definitely doing no harm by starting the car and driving it. It's a car that's what you do with cars.
I personally would try to avoid dry starting as much as possible, I think that two weeks is enough time to let the oil settle to an extent that I would consider that a dry start. It seems like that is what the OP was trying to avoid by priming the oil at the end of the winter.

So in an effort to avoid dry starting as much as possible I would either start it weekly or don't start it until the end of the winter, I personally go with choice B. I do not see a need to prime the oil though, like I said, I guess we will see what the problem is, but I would bet that it is all related to pulling the fuel pump fuse.

Quick Reply: Pulled car out of winter storage, Flashing CEL