S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Protecting your cv boots, joints, bushings

Old 02-27-2008, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Protecting your cv boots, joints, bushings

I was wondering when xviper said that you use silicone spray on your rubber boots cv joints and other things but have a question, i accidently bought the wrong thing and bought white lithium grease and sprayed it all over the joints and boots and was wondering if that was ok, so then I went out and bought silicone spray then i sprayed over it again but realized that silicone is alot light thinner so was wondering if it was ok to use white lithium grease instead as it's thicker and seems to stick more than drip. thanks. I read somewhere that you can only use silicone on rubber like window trim and lithium grease was only for metals?
Old 02-27-2008, 06:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Im not sure if it will damage the boots or not.

But Im pretty sure this whole DIY isn't "necessary"
Old 02-27-2008, 06:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wipe the grease off the rubber or it will accelerate the deterioration. Silicone is for rubber and protects it from getting wet/dry/wet/dry and cracking.

The grease is for lubrication...and will eat the rubber.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by NVMY4N,Feb 27 2008, 07:01 PM
Im pretty sure this whole DIY isn't "necessary"
It is "necessary" if you want to extend the life of the boots and rubber seals. It's part of the maintenance schedule also.

I would recommend that you do it.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:16 PM

I stand corrected.

for some reason I thought it said it wasn't apart of the maintenance just did it for personal satisfaction.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:20 PM

I retract my previous statement.

Originally Posted by xviper
DISCLAIMER: The procedures, methods and products written up here was for my circumstances only. I make no assertions that your results will be the same nor do I claim that this is the best way to do it. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

WARNING! Automotive fluids are NOT good for you. You are advised to wear eye protection and rubber gloves where contact is likely. Also, "Mechanix" gloves will save you some skinned knuckles.

Your CV and steering rod boots that is. I just took off my snow tires and thought this would be a good time to do this maintenance that is NOT mentioned in the owner's manual. Done twice a year, you should never have a rubber boot get dry and crack and we all know what happens when a CV boot cracks, right? My old Caravan lasted over 12 years and 200,000 km on the original boots and CV joints from doing this maintenance.
First, you need to get some of this (make sure it's safe for rubber):

Granted - it was written a few years ago, it could be in the new Owners Manual....or he had no idea it was in there. Either way....doing it is good.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah but the thing is that the silicone is so much thicker and seems to stick better than the light silicone stuff. I guess I'll wipe it off.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by NVMY4N,Feb 27 2008, 07:20 PM
I retract my previous statement.

Granted - it was written a few years ago, it could be in the new Owners Manual....or he had no idea it was in there. Either way....doing it is good.
I'm not sure about the owners manual. I don't recall reading it either. I was more or less referring to the maintenance schedule that the Honda Service center performs at certain intervals.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by vtec4life,Feb 27 2008, 08:01 PM
yeah but the thing is that the silicone is so much thicker and seems to stick better than the light silicone stuff. I guess I'll wipe it off.
It's white lithium grease and it's made for your metal to metal components such as your soft top brackets.

The silicone is more of a weather proofing for the rubber boots, much like the Shin-Etsu grease for your molding and door seals. If your set on using something thicker, your better off using the Shin-Etsu than the White lithium.

I'm sure you prefer the lithium because it comes in a nice handy spray can that shoots out like silly string.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by SIIK2NR,Feb 27 2008, 11:17 PM
I'm not sure about the owners manual. I don't recall reading it either. I was more or less referring to the maintenance schedule that the Honda Service center performs at certain intervals.
ah i c

either way, it's good it do.

I should probably do it........when I get the car out of storage.

Quick Reply: Protecting your cv boots, joints, bushings