S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Procharged S2000

Old 09-01-2004, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procharged S2000

I haven't heard of anyone using an ATI Procharger (supercharger) for their S2000. It seems to me after doing some reading that it might be the perfect balance between the performance of a turbocharger system and a supercharger system.
The system is also self lubricating with some kind of high temp lubricating oil, so you don't have to worry about oil lines or any of that crap.

Is it that hard to tune an S2000 that no one has tried this out. Their universal procharger kit looks like it would take care of most of the hardware.
Link here
A bracket or two, a little bit of pipes/plumbing and AEM for tuning and it should be all set right?

Anyway, just curious as to whether or not I'm overlooking something.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:53 PM

subscribed.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:35 PM

Call me stupid, but it doesn't look like there is is an application for the S2000 from Procharger. Anyways, this isn't some hybrid between a supercharger and turbo, so don't expect much benefit over a Vortech setup.

The Civic application isn't nothing special...

Chris
Old 09-01-2004, 01:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is no procharger kit for the S2000.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:18 PM

hks also makes some thing similar
http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=2339

I think when they talk about hybrid they are referring to the combination of noise produce by a turbo and the simplicity of a supercharger. I wonder how much noise these supercharger produce and how efficient they are?
Old 09-01-2004, 03:21 PM

it certainly looks good
Old 09-01-2004, 03:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Vortech kits are usually better than ATI anyway.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What idiocy is this?

A procharger is a centrifugal blower, EXACTLY the same setup as the comptech blower, and the vortech!
Old 09-01-2004, 03:28 PM

The procharger is simply a centrifugal supercharger, like the rotrex, vortech, paxton, etc. there are no advantages to it besides not introducing more heat into the oil... and there are some distinct disadvantges to it.

They are still tied to crank speed which is the huge limiting factor.

What I think is the coolest thing is the Hydracharger by Garrett, which could theoretically provide variable impellor speeds, which would keep the blower operating at maximum efficiency, rather than having a narrow and high rpm efficiency band. It would have the efficiency of a centrifugal with the wide powerband of a positive displacement blower.

That'd truly be the best of both worlds.

The Rotrex is loud.1
Old 09-01-2004, 03:55 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The only advantage I can think of with the Procharger is not having to route oil lines, but this advantage is pretty insignificant compared to the extra hassle of installing a 'Universal' kit.

Add to that the possibility of heat build up due to a sealed lubrication system. Our superchargers get quite hot from friction and the oil flow is part of the cooling cycle. It's nothing compared to the exhaust heat in a turbo but still degrades performance.
I've been rethinking that paragraph. Does our SC get hot because of friction and compression, or because engine temp oil is circulating through it? I wonder if a sealed/isolated system would be hotter or cooler?

The Procharger is a 'hybrid' of sorts. Unlike a Roots style SC it uses a turbo style axial compressor. But then so does the Paxton/Comptech and Vortech. Infact many of the earliest superchargers were of an axial design.

I guess if the Procharge system was extremely cheap it might be worth investigating but with two similar kits already on the market and proven there seems little point.

Quick Reply: Procharged S2000