S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Process, Parts list, Prices, and general HOW TO upgrade from generic turbo kit to EMS

Old 06-07-2003, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Chris,

Sorry for not being more clear. I *am* ditching the Vortech FMU in favor of using the AEM EMS in conjunction with an AEM static fuel pressure regulator and larger (550) injectors.

My question is whether I can continue to rely on the stock map sensor. My understanding is that it'll read up to one-bar (or something like that) of boost, even though the stock ECU doesn't know what to do with readings above atmospheric pressure (hence, my reason for now using a voltage clamp, which I can also ditch when I install the AEM).

Given that, do I need the 3-bar map sensor or can I keep the stock one (assuming I'm right that it'll read up to one bar or so of boost)?

Thanks.
CB
Old 06-07-2003, 09:17 AM

cbender, the stock S2000 map sensor will read up to 12psi max. There is NO need to upgrade to a GM 3bar. If you plan to run more than 12psi than this you will need to upgrade.

Also I am running 755cc ultimate racing injectors. Plug and play. The kit they sell come with the injectors, resistor pack and wiring, wiring diagram, connectors and spacers. No additional equipment needed and they work great.

I ditched the Vortech FMU and didn't add anything else. You could easily do the same and save the need for the AM static fuel pressure regulator and run stock fuel pressure. As long as you have an upgraded fuel pump(which you do with the Vortech kit) you are set.

Also ditch the Vortech black box(timing controller) and the Vortech voltage clamp for the map sensor.

If you need a 9psi pulley I have one that I got direct from Vortech. I am selling it for $100. I can also help you source the smaller belt you will need, and I could even sell you an EMS map that would be almost plug and play if you got the same size injectors as I have. This could get you up and running REALLY fast. It would save you hours of setup, configuring and tuning. Also save gas and mileage on the car. You would be able to run on 93/94 octane all day long safely. Like I am now.

Hope this helps you out.
Old 06-07-2003, 09:18 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ChrisD
[B]You shouldn't, since the stock map sensor will only read from 0 to atmospheric.
Old 06-07-2003, 09:34 AM

Originally posted by Jenner
cbender, the stock S2000 map sensor will read up to 12psi max. There is NO need to upgrade to a GM 3bar. If you plan to run more than 12psi than this you will need to upgrade.
Ah, I had no idea. Sorry.

I had always assumed the stock map sensor was good up to atmospheric, and no more. My mistake. You should be good then if you only plan to run up to 6-7 psi. If the injectors are high-impedence, then you won't need a resistor box to control them. I'm not sure what RC typically makes them, but I have a set (of RC 720s) that required the resistor box. If Jenner got his to work with URs and no box, go with that.
Old 06-07-2003, 09:37 AM

The URs come with the same box. Mine just came as a complete kit where I think your RCs needed some little bits and pieces to complete the kit.

This is what my UR's came with:

and not shown in the picture are the spacers.
Old 06-07-2003, 09:48 AM

Hi Jenner,

Thanks! I am ditching the Vortech FMU, but I'm not sure if I have the Vortech "black box". I've got the Speedcraft kit, and this is the first I've heard of the box. I will also ditch the voltage clamp I'm using (I replaced the Speedcraft "missing link" check valve with a voltage clamp a while back).

I'm getting an AEM fuel pressure regulator b/c GilbertG is going with the same setup. He's ratcheting up the fuel pressure to 50psi, I think, in conjunction with lower (550) injectors. Following his lead will enable me to start with his maps, which seems a HUGE advantage, given that I've not found someone in my area to tune this thing.

No need for any pulleys or your maps -- although it's kind of you to offer them up -- as I've got the turbo kit, not a S/C, but thanks for the generosity behind your offer.

I'm thinking of the RC Engineering 550 injectors as they don't need a resistor box, seem like a decent product, and are supposed to be plug-n-play, at least according to the tech I spoke with. Thoughts?

I appreciate the help/advice. Thanks.

CB
Old 06-07-2003, 11:06 AM

Ah when I heard you had the Vortech FMU I thought supercharger. My fault.

If the 550 injectors don't need a resistor pack that will at least save you the time spent hooking them up. I'd say go with a larger injector and lower the fuel pressure, but since you can follow in someone elses footsteps it sounds like a good path to follow.

Sorry for the confusion!
Old 06-07-2003, 11:37 AM

No apologies required. I appreciate the generosity of your advice.

CB
Old 06-07-2003, 11:42 AM

Those diagrams are exactly how I wired my injectors (I just had to find a resistor box off an old CRX) with my RC injectors. Are you sure your RC injectors aren't going to require this wiring with the EMS?
Old 06-07-2003, 11:46 AM

I will have to call RC Engineering on Monday in order to answer this question, Chris. RCE's tech suport guy, however, said their 550 injectors were plug and play for the S2K and the only thing I'd need would be the pigtails to attach the injectors to the stock wiring. If he's right, it seems a very easy install!

Quick Reply: Process, Parts list, Prices, and general HOW TO upgrade from generic turbo kit to EMS