S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Problems programming key fob

Old 05-04-2009, 04:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems programming key fob

Hey All...

I recently got myself an S2000 AP1 and am having some problems with the key fob. Basically it doesn't work and the guy I bought it off from said he never tried fixing it himself.

So, I just went to buy a new battery for the key fob thinking this might have been the problem. Still not working.

Then I thought I might need to re-program it. I found the following steps online:

Close doors, hood, trunk.
1. Ignition ON.
2. Within 1-4 secs. push lock or unlock while aiming the remote at the receiver.
3. Within 1-4 secs, turn OFF ignition.
4. Within 1-4 secs, turn ON ign.
5. Within 1-4 secs, repeat (2.)
6. Within 1-4 secs, turn OFF ign.
7. Within 4 secs, turn ON ign.
8. Within 1-4 secs, repeat (2.)
9. Within 1-4 secs, turn OFF ign.
10. Within 4 secs, turn ON ign.
11. Within 1-4 secs, repeat (2.)
12. Confirm that you hear the door lock actuators. Within 1-4 secs, push the transmitter lock or unlock button again. The keyless receiver is now in the program mode. You must push the transmitter lock or unlock button of the first transmitter again to program that remote.
13. Within 10 secs, aim the transmitters (up to three) whose codes you want to store at the receiver, and press the transmitter lock or unlock buttons. Confirm that you can hear the sound of the door lock actuators after each transmitter code is stored.
14. Turn ign. OFF, and pull out the key.
15. Confirm the operation of the new codes.

All's fine up until step 12 and I can hear the door lock actuators. So, I'm assuming the key fob and receiver are actually working. But then... what am I supposed to do? The rest isn't exactly clear and when I do pull the key out at the end... still nothing works!

Any help?

Thanks!
Old 05-04-2009, 05:08 AM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

I scanned this in for someone recently...from the factory alarm manual. (If you don't have the factory alarm, hopefully the keyless entry programming is the same.)
Old 05-04-2009, 07:33 AM

thanks for the post...

this is what i tried the first time... and i could hear the locks doing something.

im trying again now, following exactly the same steps but nothing happens this time! i dont know... just been to my local honda dealer but he said he doesn't have a clue as its a japanese import and they're different from the european models :S

i think i'd be better off just getting myself a new key fob... any ideas were i can grab one off from?

tnx
Old 05-04-2009, 11:05 AM

Received 419 Likes on 240 Posts

Can you open the trunk from the fob when the ignition is on? If no then i dunno.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:03 PM

i have a similar problem, i can open my trunk with the key fob but i cant lock or unlock the car all it does is honk and flash the lights... Does anyone know what the problem might be?
Old 05-05-2009, 02:38 AM

my key fob seems to be different than the usual ones and there's no button to open the trunk.

its a 99 model... do all the key fobs have the trunk button or some models might not have this? im assuming there are differences between some fobs depending whether the car has the factory alarm or not, but im not sure if mine is the actual factory key fob. there is a honda sign on it but it has only two buttons - one big and one smaller, no led indicators either

what would i need to order a new key fob and make sure its the right one? and were's best to get it from? tnx
Old 05-05-2009, 05:29 AM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ortizal3x,May 4 2009, 06:03 PM
i have a similar problem, i can open my trunk with the key fob but i cant lock or unlock the car all it does is honk and flash the lights... Does anyone know what the problem might be?
Just off the top of my head, you might have a bad door sensor. Not 100% sure, but on a lot of alarms, they do this to alert you that a door isn't closed.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:34 PM

thanks ill check it out
Old 05-08-2009, 07:49 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Look on the center console for a red LED. If the car has dealer installed security you'll have a LED by the cupholder and a control unit under the drivers seat.

The dealer installed security remotes don't interchange with the OEM keyless remotes. The trunk release doesn't work correctly.

Take a pic of the remotes you have and find out if you have security. I can tell you if you have the correct remote.

00-01 cars usually had security installed at the dealer to bump the purchase price when S2k's were bringing full retail +
Old 08-23-2012, 02:15 PM

I got my new Fob to Cycle but I don't think I did the last part right. I was so nervous to go fast I messed up...but...the trunk release worked once. Now I got nothing.

Ryan

Quick Reply: Problems programming key fob