S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Problems with new clutch mechanic installed

Old 02-24-2010, 05:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with new clutch mechanic installed

This is kind of a wierd issue so i'm going to tell the whole story; mechanics is not at all my specialty so any advice is greatly appreciated:

So about two months ago I began having some really bad clutch problems in my s2k to the point where the car would barely move forward. I took it to a local import repair place that my family usually uses to have it taken care of. As i guessed It turns out the clutch needed to be replaced. I found a eCM stage 2 kit on ebay (which included a new flywheel) for about 565 bux and figured that would be the best way to go, mainly because the mechanic wanted to charge me about 700 just for the part alone. He apparently searched around and found a kit for about 650 but guaranteed the install if anything went wrong. I decided to go with him because I didn't want to deal with any drama in case something did go wrong with it so i dished out the extra cash to have him install his parts instead. A week went by and I never heard from him; I tried calling the place a couple of days after that first week but never would get an answer; so i left the mechanic a couple of messages. I never heard back from him and began getting a little confused; until I called the repair place around Thursday of the following week; he said that they couldn't get the clutch to engage and we're in the process of replacing the master clutch cylinder, (an issue they felt the need not to contact me about) and were not sure on how much it was going to be. Regardless, I again waited another week and finally my car was ready. In the end I ended up paying around 1350 for the new clutch and the new master clutch cylinder.

After breaking it in, i started noticing about a month later some slipping every once in awhile; this is not driving my car too hard either, i.e. acceleration ramp on the highway or downshifting to pass a car; other than that it worked fine. Last night i went and ran a couple short drag races and now the thing will barley move again. Now on the last race i did end up dropping the clutch. After this i immediatly starting having this problem.

Either way after the break in period, unless i'm wrong; it should be able to handle being pushed every once in awhile right? I looked over the paperwork given to me by the mechanic and saw that the flywheel was rotated (if i have the part terminology right) instead of replaced. Was told by a friend flywheel could be warped and could end up having to get a new one.

I love my s2k and am normally an extremely good driver with it. I don't understand why it did this after a new clutch was just installed. I'm calling the mechanic in a bit to schedule to have it looked at but would appreciate any input because i'm terrible at dealing with mechanics.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:47 PM

What brand of clutch was it. He said he'd guarantee it so just bring it back.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:24 PM

Flywheels dont NEED to be replaced, it could be resurfaced/reused if done right. It sounds more like a BAD clutch install.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:53 PM

It was a clutchmaster clutch kit he originally installed; he's going to take a look at it this Friday for me; hopefully its not in as long as it was before, that would bum me out to be without my s2k for that long again heh.

Appreciate the input.