S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Problems with KONI install

Old 03-15-2007, 03:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile Problems with KONI install

I'm working on the rears.

1. I can't get the top nut on the shocks torqued to 22 ft. lbs, I just tightened the bottom nut as much as I could and screwed the other one on to lock it in.

It feels like the rose bushings keep getting compressed. Am I trying to get to the bottom of the threads on the koni shaft? The threads on the konis go about .5 inch lower than the stocks.

2. When I drilled the rose bushings and dust cap, the hole was just big enough for the shaft of the konis to fit through. The same size as the inner diameter of the sleeve.

Is the sleeve that comes with the koni's supposed to fit through the drilled rose bushing hole?

3. when I installed the shock/springs there is alot of resistance while I try to line up the holes. When I push it toward the hole, I can see the rose bushings flex and I assume the shaft is bending.

I've searched and read through the DIY. I'm stuck, any insight will be appreciated.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. i think you are supposed to torque them to 22ft/lbs them after the install and the tires are back on and the car is dropped onto the ground, so then they compress and then you torque.

2.?

3. there is going to be a lot of resistance, for the front i took off my upper control arms and it made it easier to get in and line up with those holes. the upper control arm has only 2 bolts and the arm easy to take off/on. my rears went in with no problem.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) its fine. i was under the impression that this part got tightened down before it went on the car. after i popped it back in the car i preloaded the shock and tightened the upper arms and the lower bolt. thats all. i have no problems.

2) koni supplied you a sleeve? what sleeve? the white cap looking thing? that is your dust cover, and it goes on right after you pop your stock perch on. it fits right on where the beginning of the yellow part of your shock begins at the top. the order is perch, white dust cover, bumpstop, koni washer 1, stock black dust sleeve, koni washer 2, rose bushing 1, stock top hat thing, rose bushing 2, koni curved washer, nut. whew!

3) are you jacking up one side at a time? first off, yes, pop off the top arms. then put your car on a jack stand and go around the other side of the car and jack up that side. it will even out the load placed on the sway bar - thats what's driving you nuts. you may not have to, but i popped my sway bar off real quick to make it easier on myself.

hope this helps (and that i'm accurate!)
Old 03-15-2007, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the rears will have alot of resistance...I had to get a second person push down on the rotor with theie leg in order for me to line up the holes. Yes you have to drill the rose bushings wide enough so that the new collers that came with the konis fit through the rose bushings. I agree that these shocks are the biggest pain in the ass to install.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The resisitance I'm talking about is pushing the shock toward the hole (in the last pic) it doesn't look bad but, when I try to line the holes up, I have to use a lot of force pushing the shock toward the car. It didn't seem this bad when I installed GC/Koni and stocks a while back.

Anyways, I'll drill the rose bushings out more and retry.

Thanks for the replys.

Oh and the car is up on jackstands.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you need a big ass mallet then.

i still recommended taking off the sway bar links. at the very least it cant hurt.