S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Problems diagnosing my Check Engine Light

Old 09-10-2001, 07:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey nice photo's

As a side note, after I rebuilt my truck (300,000mi) I had 2 days to test it before towing my S to Ashville and then to Florida, well I must have heard 20 or 30 new sounds from the thing that had been there all along, I heard them because I was listening(and paranoid), drove me nuts for all of 2500 miles I beleive in myself and my work but you never know what might happen.

but for joe_s2k, if they didnt see anything during the teardown it's definatly an electrical issue ECU or otherwise.
Old 09-11-2001, 01:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same problem...Check engine light on & off. It's idiling so low that it almost feels as if the engine was going to shut off, but not yet. My car also shakes more then normal (You can only tell if you sit inside). The last time I had this happend, they said it was a misfire, so they replaced my spark pugs under warranty, then it came on again soon after that. I'll let you know what they tell me once i bring it in for the nth time.
Old 09-11-2001, 12:17 PM

Damn Joe!!.

You still whining?!? The way you drive that loaner Civic around you should be fine. Oh, BTW, I forgot to wipe the blood off the back window, opposite of where I was sitting.

No, really though, sorry man. But like I offered others, I'll drive in front of your house and wave or something.
Old 09-11-2001, 03:19 PM

Hey Joe I didn't know they were having this much trouble. I hope the problem is resolved soon, and you get your car back real soon!
Old 09-11-2001, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by John David
I hope the problem is resolved soon, and you get your car back real soon!
As the Energizer Bunny commercial says, "STILL GOING...." I'm supposed to know something tomorrow.
Old 09-12-2001, 06:23 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by joe_s2k
[B]

As the Energizer Bunny commercial says, "STILL GOING...."
Old 09-12-2001, 06:36 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Just a dumb thought here.....are you sure you didn't get a "bad" tank of gas somewhere? The S2000 is fairly gas sensitive and I have heard of others that got too high an alchohol level in the fuel, their car exhibited similar symptoms..........just a thought and an easy one to try. Siphon the old gas out and give her a new couple of gallons from a different station. In the owners manual there are very specific fuel requirements. Remember to save a sample to test just in case it resolves your problem.

I normally wouldn't bring this up but it sounds like you are still fishing.......

Utah
Old 09-12-2001, 06:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by joe_s2k
...End of Story
Fantastic! I was starting to worry on this one. Sure was the hard way to get there.. see what all that cool electronic crap will get you.. confused.
Old 09-12-2001, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by Utah S2K
Just a dumb thought here.....are you sure you didn't get a "bad" tank of gas somewhere? The S2000 is fairly gas sensitive and I have heard of others that got too high an alchohol level in the fuel, their car exhibited similar symptoms..........just a thought and an easy one to try. Siphon the old gas out and give her a new couple of gallons from a different station. In the owners manual there are very specific fuel requirements. Remember to save a sample to test just in case it resolves your problem.

I normally wouldn't bring this up but it sounds like you are still fishing.......

Utah
That's a good point. I don't think that's the case since I still have 1/2 a tank of gas left. I will know soon if I end up with the same problem within the last 1/2 tank.

BTW,
I only use Premium Unleaded (93 octane), but there is always a chance.

After having it in the shop for a month as of today, I'm just happy that I get to pick up my car tomorrow.
Old 09-12-2001, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by cdelena

Fantastic! I was starting to worry on this one. Sure was the hard way to get there.. see what all that cool electronic crap will get you.. confused.
I was worried too... TWS was coming soon.

That's exactly what the Service Manager said about the electronics in our car. He mentioned that the OBDII software never actually pinpointed the problem.

As one of my friends at work likes to say with a deep, raspy voice "What a SYSTEM!!"

See you at TWS!!

Quick Reply: Problems diagnosing my Check Engine Light