S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Problem solved... Thanks everyone

Old 09-19-2005, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem solved... Thanks everyone

First off, thanks in advance for reading this. My car has been acting like this for a while and never became a problem until now. She has about 47k on the odometer and is a '01. When I would start the car in the morning, it would hesitate while trying to turn over. I guess the best way to explain it is by the rhythm when starting the car. Once you hit the start button, it makes that about 3 consecutive cranking noises before the car turns over and starts. What happens in my case, on occasion, is it struggles to get past the 3 cranks before it starts. There's like a half second pause in between each one before it finally starts.

This morning, after I got to work and parked, I wanted to move the car back a little more. The car won't start at all. What I'm getting is the sound of the car trying to start in very long intervals. I had a tsb done on the spark plugs last year when I purchased the car used. I'm suspecting it's an electrical problem but am not 100% sure. Can someone please provide some feedback/input as to what my problem may be?

Again, thanks in advance for all your help.

Paul
Old 09-19-2005, 07:45 AM

Sounds like your battery is low. Could be the battery itself, a slow current leak, or the alternator. My guess is you need a new battery.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be alot of things, battery, coil pack, plugs. I would try the battery first, and then the plugs, and if all else fails the coil packs.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:14 AM

Battery
Old 09-19-2005, 09:17 AM

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. It TRIES to turn over, but never starts... There is power cuz my dash lights up and radio works... I have a full tank of gas so I don't think it's that... I went downstairs during my break to see if she'll start and it stuttered for a second but she did start... I checked the battery through the little window but couldn't really see a color based on the chart displayed on the battery... I'm gonna run by sears after I get off and get it tested... Thanks everyone for the input... Hopefully it's just the battery and nothing more like starter or anything... I'd rather spend $100 than like $400

I'll keep everyone posted one what happens... In the meantime, if anyone can suggest anything else for me to check, please do so... I appreaciate all the feedback...

Thanks again

Paul
Old 09-19-2005, 09:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ricecooker1280,Sep 19 2005, 07:35 AM
it struggles to get past the 3 cranks before it starts. There's like a half second pause in between each one before it finally starts.
From what you decribed......My money is on the battery..
Old 09-19-2005, 10:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is pretty funny because I have a 2001 Spa S2000 also, with almost the same mileage (48k) , live in So Cal, and I had the exact same problem yesterday.

I think it's just the battery getting old. I noticed though that if I turned off the car, and then put my top up, I wouldn't be able to start it the next time. So remember to keep the car running when you put the top up or down until you get a new battery.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by pantyraider,Sep 19 2005, 10:08 AM
This is pretty funny because I have a 2001 Spa S2000 also, with almost the same mileage (48k) , live in So Cal, and I had the exact same problem yesterday.

I think it's just the battery getting old. I noticed though that if I turned off the car, and then put my top up, I wouldn't be able to start it the next time. So remember to keep the car running when you put the top up or down until you get a new battery.
THAT IS FREEKIN' NUTS!!!! What's even crazier is I had just put my top up (w/ the car running though) and when I tried to start it again, it wouldn't... About an hour & a half later when I tried during my break, she started... Guess I really may need a new battery...

Paul
Old 09-19-2005, 06:42 PM

UPDATE

Just got home from Sears and sure enough, it was the battery... He said the charge was at like 6 amps (or whatever measurment is used for voltage) which was significantly low... Swapped in a Die Hard Gold (that's all they had) and viola, my baby started as if she had a new heart Just want to extend a very sincere THANK YOU VERY MUCH to everyone on the boards, especially to those who provided suggestions.... It's times like this that makes me proud to be a part of a great community, even if I'm not as active a poster as others are here....

Thanks again and have a good one

Paul
Old 09-19-2005, 07:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick Reply: Problem solved... Thanks everyone