S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Problem With Aem Ems

Old 07-16-2004, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem With Aem Ems

I am heving little issues once my car got tuned. My temperature doesn't work, it just stays at 1 bar. My car takes forever to start. The controls (volume, mute, etc) doesn't work, actually the mute button is stuck on . The idle is at 1500 to 1600 rpm. I had them install a water temp gauge because my temperature gauge doen't work, and it goes straight to 250 degrees within 2 minutes, so I have absolutely no idea if my car is running hot! Can anyone help me out with this? thank you!
Old 07-16-2004, 06:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The temp gauge will NOT work with the EMS. This is a known problem which hopefully AEM will address in future software releases. For now, my tuner set my CEL to come on if the temp ever gets above 3 bars.

As far as startup, this is normal. The car will take a few more cranks every now and then to get started. Nature of the beast.

Stereo controls I have not checked since I installed my EMS, as I never listen to the stereo anymore. I'll check mine this weekend.

High idle should be fixed by your tuner, or you...if you're like Gary, Aus, beroz or any of these other guys in UTH who seem to know this sh*t like the alphabet.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:06 AM

well if the car doesnt start up right away, after a few cranks. Make sure your "cold start" is setup. Without that the car wont usually cooperate until the coolant temp heats up.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:35 AM

Badass Supra! It takes probably 45 sec to a minute to start? I just got it back from the tuner and I guess the spark plugs were black, could that be from the starter taking too long? Anyone know why the water temp goes so high so fast? It was only 70 degrees this morning, less than that in my garage?
Old 07-16-2004, 07:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All the above is true.... for your idle.... if you need to turn it down, go to your AEM PRO software and select idle>idle... you should see a idle target base table.....you can tweak that to your desire...hint... u might wanna set the idle higher at lower coolant temp.... don't worry it wont cause your car to xplode....at least I think
Old 07-16-2004, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by frans2k,Jul 16 2004, 10:35 AM
Badass Supra! It takes probably 45 sec to a minute to start? I just got it back from the tuner and I guess the spark plugs were black, could that be from the starter taking too long? Anyone know why the water temp goes so high so fast? It was only 70 degrees this morning, less than that in my garage?
Are you sure of this????? you can also monitor your coolant temp in the AEMPRO software.... verify that you after market gauge is not wacko Jacko first.....
u can do that by clicking on the HELP and search on how to read coolant temp.... you can also customize a desktop on your AEM pro.... very nice feature.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:39 AM

Unfortunately I have to take it back down there for that. I do not have the capability to work with it .
Old 07-16-2004, 09:08 AM

What do you mean you do not have the capability??? do you mean you do not have a computer? u do not have the software? I think it is a very bad idea to go with the ems if you do not have a basic understanding of how this thing works....It is definitely not your average cookie cutter modification... its not like you can install, tune and be done with it..... the tuning was done to get the car close to a desired AFR most likely timing was adjusted to optimize HP gains abut at the same time ensuring that there was no pinging...
you still have alot of adjusting to do if you want your car to drive it like your stock setup. I would advise you to a) save ur money if you predict that you capability will not come to you any time soon.b) get what ever you dont have and read the AEM manual........
Good luck....
Beroz
Old 07-16-2004, 09:14 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Do you have the aftermarket UEGO in place of the factory O2 sensor? They may have set the idle high because the factory O2 does not have enough range and the idle pulsates dramatically below 1450 or 1500 rpm.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by beroznikmal,Jul 16 2004, 11:08 AM
What do you mean you do not have the capability??? do you mean you do not have a computer? u do not have the software? I think it is a very bad idea to go with the ems if you do not have a basic understanding of how this thing works....It is definitely not your average cookie cutter modification... its not like you can install, tune and be done with it..... the tuning was done to get the car close to a desired AFR most likely timing was adjusted to optimize HP gains abut at the same time ensuring that there was no pinging...
you still have alot of adjusting to do if you want your car to drive it like your stock setup. I would advise you to a) save ur money if you predict that you capability will not come to you any time soon.b) get what ever you dont have and read the AEM manual........
Good luck....
Beroz
By meaning I meant time. I work 11 hours a day 6 days a week, I really don't have time to play with the car. Some people have time to work on cars I don't. Most people don't tune their own cars.
Sideways, I have no idea what a UEGO is. The first time they tuned it with the 9lb pulley there were no issues besides the car not wanting to start. They put on the new injectors, Royal purple gear oil and motor oil, spark plugs(NGK). I don't know I am just confused.

Quick Reply: Problem With Aem Ems