S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Probably another unfarmiliar qualm?

Old 09-23-2006, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Probably another unfarmiliar qualm?

When my S is sitting still idleing the motor almost sounds like a salt shaker, it starts on the first crank, runs perfect, and not cel's are on, do S's just idle louder due to high compression? BTW if you havent followed my other threads the car only has 1200 miles on it.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:36 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The valvetrain noise is only indirectly related to the high compression. There are a lot of moving parts in the top of the engine. This engine has what can be compared to the "racing cams" from decades ago. This involves higher than normal lift than you would see in other engines, even before VTEC kicks in. This simply makes more noise. Also, we have a timing chain that drives 2 sprockets. Have you ridden a bicycle lately? It's noisy. This is not too different.
I don't know what kinds of cars you've owned before, but the S has a lightweight aluminum head. Some of the noise you hear may be the valves slamming back into their seats as they close. Aluminum can release this noise more so that a heavy cast iron head. If you were to listen at each valve position with a stethoscope, you will discover that the ticking sound is pretty uniform from one to another. This is your first indication that all is well and normal. If you have a maladjusted valve or a damaged valve, you would hear this as a distinct and unique tick, apart from all the rest.
You may simply be making an observation with this post or you may be trying to impart some concern. Don't know which, but you should not worry about such things on a car that is so new, unless you have done something to it (or with it) that might give you reason to doubt its mechanical worthiness.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Sep 23 2006, 06:36 PM
The valvetrain noise is only indirectly related to the high compression. There are a lot of moving parts in the top of the engine. This engine has what can be compared to the "racing cams" from decades ago. This involves higher than normal lift than you would see in other engines, even before VTEC kicks in. This simply makes more noise. Also, we have a timing chain that drives 2 sprockets. Have you ridden a bicycle lately? It's noisy. This is not too different.
I don't know what kinds of cars you've owned before, but the S has a lightweight aluminum head. Some of the noise you hear may be the valves slamming back into their seats as they close. Aluminum can release this noise more so that a heavy cast iron head. If you were to listen at each valve position with a stethoscope, you will discover that the ticking sound is pretty uniform from one to another. This is your first indication that all is well and normal. If you have a maladjusted valve or a damaged valve, you would hear this as a distinct and unique tick, apart from all the rest.
You may simply be making an observation with this post or you may be trying to impart some concern. Don't know which, but you should not worry about such things on a car that is so new, unless you have done something to it (or with it) that might give you reason to doubt its mechanical worthiness.
I have a 2000 civic si w/ the b16 engine so im used to 16 valve dohc motors, it just sounds louder than the b16 (which i would guess) and sounds alittle louder than before. When comeing home on the parkway 4 days ago i went to pass someone and put it in 3rd instead of 5th going 70-75 and bounced the revs 3 or 4 times and quickly put it in 4th, but i didnt notice any difference in valvetrin noise when getting home only yesterday have i noticed the louder valvetrain, my senses might be hightened due to my recent LSD noise which by the way has gone away though.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by JDMPONY00,Sep 23 2006, 09:04 PM
put it in 3rd instead of 5th going 70-75 and bounced the revs 3 or 4 times and quickly put it in 4th, but i didnt notice any difference in valvetrin noise when getting home only yesterday have i noticed the louder valvetrain, my senses might be hightened due to my recent LSD noise which by the way has gone away though.
You'd have to have been going about 80 mph to bounce off the rev limiter in 3rd.

As for it being louder than your Civic, I don't know what to tell you, except that it's not quite the same motor.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper,Sep 23 2006, 11:55 PM
You'd have to have been going about 80 mph to bounce off the rev limiter in 3rd.
he downshifted at 75 and proceeded to bounce off the limiter in 3rd. had he downshifted to 3rd at 80 there would have been no limiter.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:43 PM

To me the F20C sounds more like a quality sewing machine than a salt shaker. Then there is the cement mixer sound from the SC.

XViper is right on all counts. Your Civic wasn't a convertible with a rag top, so even if the engines made the same exact noises it would sound louder in your S.

Your car is new and you have a very long time to get things fixed under the warranty, so just relax and get use to the car.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by s2krazy01,Sep 23 2006, 10:23 PM
he downshifted at 75 and proceeded to bounce off the limiter in 3rd. had he downshifted to 3rd at 80 there would have been no limiter.
75 mph in 3rd gear in an AP2 is about 7700 rpm. He wouldn't have been bouncing off anything. At 80 he would be showing the redline limit light blinking, even though there is no limiter for an over-rev.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by xviper,Sep 23 2006, 08:52 PM
75 mph in 3rd gear in an AP2 is about 7700 rpm. He wouldn't have been bouncing off anything. At 80 he would be showing the redline limit light blinking, even though there is no limiter for an over-rev.
Did you compensate for tire inflation?
Old 09-24-2006, 06:31 AM

I like you alls conversaion on the matter but do you think it hurt the motor?
Old 09-24-2006, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Eluded,Sep 24 2006, 03:16 AM
Did you compensate for tire inflation?
Well no, but if it were included, at speed, tire diameter would be slightly bigger, hence bringing the rpm even further from redline.

Quick Reply: Probably another unfarmiliar qualm?